knife obsession

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
just spent the weekend with 300 knife obsessed scouts. (weather superb and they did every activity under the sun)
My leatherman wave is v useful but the blades are a wee bit thin for heavy duty cutting
i have lost my victorinox skipper knife which was ace. blade was good and not too many other toys.
i am after a new knife that can cope with 14 requests to whittle sticks for marshmallows but not one that is going to make me loook like rambo
anyone anysuggestions or should i get another victorinox?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
wait till SBS, visit YW stand and subscribe for 2 years, then get free Gerber knife - excellent bit of kit for whittling boy scouts. YW then lose your subs application and you end with free knife normally worth £43 quid. Easy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Look at the Spyderco range, good quality, well made with a lifetime wotsit. I had one for years and the blade stays sharp for ages. Comes with its own diamond honing thing with guides so you get the right angles.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
indeed
but i would sooner have themsearching for something suitable andlearning how to fashion want they want / need. we do a lot of back woods cooking challenges as well as all the rock climbing abseiling rafting caneoing wood craft cooking archery faith and craft.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

spark

Visit site
Opinel: lockable blade; easy to sharpen; comfortable handle; light in the pocket; cheap to replace when dropped overboard.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.qei.co.uk/spark>http://www.qei.co.uk/spark</A>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
Just had a look at buck knifes....

is it not a bit dangerous to have a pointy knife on a boat, when cutting applications are generally always in a sawing motion, very easy to stab yourself I would think if getting thrown about in a chop.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>Homepage</A>

Dyflin

Visit site
Isn't there some range of knives made in the States that are durable and perfect for cutting rope etc.

Anybody know the name. They're a well known maker?

~Dyflin

<hr width=100% size=1>Well it's all for me grog, me jolly jolly grog!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
i think its spiderco barryh was on about
checked the site out
not sure which is right one tho

jimi

Visit site
Re: Gerber Utility/Rescue

never go climbing with a guy armed with a knife as nae doot Whymper's companions had they survived would hae testified!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Can you get them to fashion some darts for my blowpipe? I want to use it if just one more blackbird sh*ts on my boat.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
send me the dimensions and i will see what they can do.

altho left alone for long enough they would probably come up with them anyway.
i think if you had 1million boy scouts left alone with the right kit they would eventually develop a MOAB

leave them with a knife in a wood and you get bows arrows and sharpened everything and that is after 1 hour.

MADFISH

Visit site
I have a Gerber knife abtained from YBW subs as well. (For only a 6 month subscription!) I must say, like your scouts, I am obsessed with it too! It is the business as a sailing knife. the only drawback is it has no sharp point. This can also be an advantage but I still manage to cut myself with it on a routine basis!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Dead right, Julian. I always carry a breadknife in the cockpit. I've never felt the need for anything else and it's very cheap.

<hr width=100% size=1>