Kicker strap

fireball

Visit site
Push/Pull ... well - it is effectively PUSHING the mast forward by PULLING the boom forwards /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for deforming - it probably has more effect on fractional rigs - which this isn't ... and the effect is greater on a dinghy where you get 16:1 systems as standard .... but it can be acheived on a 4:1 system by pulling the mainsheet hard on, then tensioning the kicker then releasing the mainsheet ...

probably won't make you any faster though ...

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And BOOM VANG a VANG is Lulu

[/ QUOTE ]
lulu%202003%205.jpg
BOOM BOOM

mikemonty

Visit site
Nah - I don't have a cunningham, just yer old outhaul and main halyard.
References say - outhaul flattens the lower 1/3 of the main.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Well thanks everyone for some informative advice.
About the boom been thin looking for the boat size, It is 4" dia and has a slide groove in the bottom which should afford some strenghtening due to the groove prifile.
I was under the impression that the boom was actually very strong compared to some of the more modern ones I have seen with barely 1mm wall thickness, compared to aprox 3mm on mine, plus remember it is only 10ft long.
The Traveler on the pbo test boat of 80 or 82 was mounted on the coach roof stradeling the hatch, and was recommended to be moved by the tester as he said something to the effect that it dident work too well there.
Mine is mounted forward of the lazerette, and isent quite as bad as it looks in the second pic, as the boom was well to leeward in that pic, besides there is about 12-14" between the fore end of the tiller and the companionway bridge, so there wouldent be enough room for the traveler there, I could meve it forward about 6" but it would mean doing away with a locker which is forward of the lazerette.
When I got the boat, the boom was just about hitting my head height, so I raised its fixed attachment at the gooseneck, but only by about 2" which was all I could afford in the luff height, but will reduce luff by an inch or so when ever I renew the main sail.
Would it be wise to make a quick release adaptor ( snap shackle) to enable me to use kicker as a preventer which I could clip to the aft lower shroud deck Ubolts, for when I am goose winging?
Thanks again to you all for your advice.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I'll don my fireproof waistcoat...

You are just a misplaced colonist so we'll excuse your ignorance on this one occasion and just subconsciously substitute Kicking Strap for vang using MS Auto mode.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif