Keep Turning Left sunk by Google

sighmoon

Visit site
Hi Dylan,

Sorry to hear that. Came across your trucking videos independently of ktl, by the way - entertaining my wee boy.

I'm not a lawyer at all, but it sounds to me like Google are (probably inadvertantly and algorythmically) committing a fraud here:
They've told you they have removed ads from your works, and that you're not going to get paid, and the money will be returned to advertisers. Yet, ads are still appearing next to your trucking videos. They may not actually be charging those advertisers, but it increases those Advertisers ROI, at your expense, which you never agreed to.

I used to work for one of Googles site advertising 'competitors' (never in the same league as Google really). It was very much third rate, but here's what I know from that:

Account suspensions nearly always follow a customer's complaint about the quality of traffic they're getting. (i.e. some misguided soul trying to help you , in this case). I imagine it's the same at Google. What followed where I worked was a manual investigation, but Google might use a bot for the same purpose, and it may be that the way you're asking people to click the amazon ad is picked up by the bot as asking people to click the Google ad or something. Just a guess.

Anyway, when's the Wight to Wells DVD box set coming out?

Last edited:

AliM

Visit site
So sorry, Dylan. I hope something works to reverse their decision, or find a way round it.
And it's not only men who sail and enjoy your sailing films (although I'd imagine your trucker films have an almost entirely male audience!)

Ali

Sire

Visit site
Thanks, I'll take a look later when I get home- I'm at the docks at the moment with some timber for the uk!

I can suggest a good trucking site, will PM later when I'm on a proper computer.

One suggestion- have you thought of producing a podcast? There is very little sailing material in that format at present. You could distribute it via subscription, or as a free podcast with additional paid-for bonus content. Just a thought...

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Box set of KTL

Hi Dylan,

Sorry to hear that. Came across your trucking videos independently of ktl, by the way - entertaining my wee boy.

I'm not a lawyer at all, but it sounds to me like Google are (probably inadvertantly and algorythmically) committing a fraud here:
They've told you they have removed ads from your works, and that you're not going to get paid, and the money will be returned to advertisers. Yet, ads are still appearing next to your trucking videos. They may not actually be charging those advertisers, but it increases those Advertisers ROI, at your expense, which you never agreed to.

I used to work for one of Googles site advertising 'competitors' (never in the same league as Google really). It was very much third rate, but here's what I know from that:

Account suspensions nearly always follow a customer's complaint about the quality of traffic they're getting. (i.e. some misguided soul trying to help you , in this case). I imagine it's the same at Google. What followed where I worked was a manual investigation, but Google might use a bot for the same purpose, and it may be that the way you're asking people to click the amazon ad is picked up by the bot as asking people to click the Google ad or something. Just a guess.

Anyway, when's the Wight to Wells DVD box set coming out?

I did tick a box on the adsense contract agreeing to everything - so I am sure they have me bang to rights. I assume that by not informing them that the click through rate on my site was higher than youtube I was breaking the rules

The contracts are written so that almost everyone is in breach all the time. Site data disclosure, placing of adverts, privacy statements, stepping on cracks in the pavement, running with scizzors....

Incidentally this site has a privacy statement somehwere. Its the opposite of a privacy statement actually - what it you do by joining this website and clicking your agreement is agreeing to let them use your information. I love it when people post on here saying that YBW should pay them for their input. I assume that every keystroke of every posting belongs to them.

I am sure all you guys have read the one on here

I know I have and its a cracking good read.

Live by the digit - die by the digit.

Taking on google - well what do you think?

I will leave that sort of stuff to bigger, tougher people.

Put it in my large file of jobs I have not been paid for yet. It goes with the territory of being a hack.

Did this one in June

money might come - it might not. Water under the bridge.

The mistake I made - and its a common one for freelances - is to get overcommitted to one client. I have basically spent the past year making films for google.

The amazing thing to me is that Google is so big that it can't be bothered to get a human to look at the account and see that although the advertisers were not getting value for money from KTL there were still the 1.5 million truck hits a month which were probably performing as well as any youtube hit.

thanks for liking the truck films - people seem to like them.

I now realise that its is better to be a 'me too' in a bigger market than a one off in a small market.

I think its great that at the age of 55 I am still learning stuff.

As for the DVD set of IOW to the Wash - making DVds is tough

With the truck ones I get ten percent of the cover price - the rest is swallowed up by pressing, printing, packing, jiffy bags, postage, returns, no shows and all the rest.

if anyone wants the films join the site and download them and burn them to DVD - or pay a young person to do it for you.

Dylan

Boo2

Visit site
should truck lovers be subsidising some pretty self indulgent films about an ugly man sailing an incredibly ugly boat up some muddy rivers in east anglia?

Well, the first thing I thought when I viewed one of those films was "man, trucks are ugly" so... :D

Boo2

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
HI Sorry to hear about your plight.

I was hoping the DVD would be out for this Christmas! maybe next year, you don't need fancy art work or cover just the DVD with the films on it. I have £10 waiting for one.

Merry Christmas All
Graham

Last edited:

rwoofer

Visit site
The website traffic tells me how many people look at the front page of the website - they watch all the films - staying there for half an hour or more - even the one about boiling cans

and then they don't hit the paypal button.

There's one problem - Paypal. I don't have Paypal and don't want to get a Paypal account either - don't trust it. If there was another way of paying I gladly would (even sending a fiver in the post).

BTW didn't realise you could watch all the films without paying, I've only ever watched the one or two on the home page as and when you change them. (just looked now and see that you have 4 or so on there today, though)

dylanwinter

details on front page

There's one problem - Paypal. I don't have Paypal and don't want to get a Paypal account either - don't trust it. If there was another way of paying I gladly would (even sending a fiver in the post).

BTW didn't realise you could watch all the films without paying, I've only ever watched the one or two on the home page as and when you change them. (just looked now and see that you have 4 or so on there today, though)

you can either send me an email promising to send a few quid in an envelope

I will sign you up straight away and send you an address

or send me an email telling me that you spent £100 on amazon by entering through the window on the website and they give me a 5 percent referral fee. sI will join you up straight away on the basis that that something will turn up in the Amazon box

if you end up not sending the cash or spending the money through amazon I will never remember who promised and did not follow through so you will be in anyway

I work on trust. If you don't end up stumping up - well all I have lost is bit of bandwidth - and you have damaged your own feeling of self worth.

if you buy by paypal and at tell me at any time that you did not like the films and want your money back

then I will just ping it back to you - even if you have watched and downloaded all the films

and you don't get an offer like that every day

So far 650 people have joined up

As you can appreciate I have created a great way to lose money - especially now there are no adsense ads on the website.

Fascadale

Visit site
Dylan, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems with the faceless global giants.

I have been greatly enjoying the whole KTL project.

Should anyone come up with any way of appealing to, petitioning or putting pressure on Google/Youtube they would have my support.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Dylan,

Your customers should be able to use a credit card without opening a Paypal account. When you click on Paypal you will be given an option to pay by card, it's normally to the left of the screen. Obviously, they want you to open an account and the site is biased that way, but there is the option not to.

dylanwinter

I had no idea

Dylan,

Your customers should be able to use a credit card without opening a Paypal account. When you click on Paypal you will be given an option to pay by card, it's normally to the left of the screen. Obviously, they want you to open an account and the site is biased that way, but there is the option not to.

Blimey I am learning fast.

Dylan

markpageant

Visit site
Towards a solution ?

I wonder if the algorithm would have different view if ktl followers began emailing Google advertisers, copying in Google of course to complain about Googles behaviour and refusing to purchase from companies advertising on Google ?

RayKYC

Visit site
Let's Help Dylan keep the slug on course!

Would like to get on my soapbox now, thank you.

Dylan's KTL short films (videos, TV shows, whatever) are important works of sailing/naturalist/historic/geographic/aesthetic interest. They need to be nurtured and encouraged.

Best damn s videos I've ever seen.

I even like Dylan, affable rascal that he is! OK, stepping down now.

Dylan,

If you can keep KTL as a hobby and only make us two or three 5 minute KTL shorts a year, its worth it to me. I'd keep my subscription going and be happy to pay more than you charge now if it'll keep the voyage going, albeit at a slower & more erratic pace.

Your project is still worth doing and is important work.

Good Luck,
Ray

Keyport Yact Club
Raritan Bay
New Jersey USA

RayKYC

Visit site
Keep Turning Left, Paypal, debit cards, credit cards, and cheques.

Dylan,

I've used Paypal for Ebay for years here in the New York- New Jersey area. Via PayPal I've paid direct through them, I've had a credit card and a debit card linked through it, and I now send auto cheques via PayPal. I also have a credit card directly sponsored by them, although I never use it. You just have to be careful how you sign up for these various functions or they'll always try to steer you towards setting up the credit card directly sponsored by them. They're bandits like the rest of them so keep your wits about you! --Ray KYC