keep an eye on ebay

B

blackbess2

we at the eling sailing club had our youth training rib stolen and last week the motor appeared on ebay so i called the seller of the nicked gear and hey presto with a call to the old bill we recovered the engine and the scrot got his collor felt POWER TO THE PEOPLE i dont wish to maline ebay its a good site but the A******es who are taking our gear are selling on the site

golden14

www.2012olympicsforum.com
BUT and it is a big BUT people, ebay WILL NOT respond to any other enquiry reference anything stolen Boat/car/etc unless the e-mail request comes from a valid law enforcement officer/police. My stolen boat was sold on ebay but they will only speak to the police, so even if it's on a 7 day auction, unless the police contact ebay within this time, and ebay respond within this time then kiss your stolen goods gooodbye :-( (£14k down the drain)
Legalised theft? Welcome to ebay :) Still want to sell anything on there?

teddington_lock

Visit site
The seller and the buyer will still be registered with a name and address on Ebay though , Ebay will still have their details ?

So even if the boat is sold , Plod can still catch the thief surely ?

Provided you have a crime number and can prove that you own the boat , they go round and nick the seller , and then pop round to the buyer and take the boat back.

If you have been paid out by your insurance company , the boat becomes theirs , if you weren't insured , the boat comes back to you .

Why would the police need to do it within seven days ?

If the buyer of your boat fails to co-operate , they will nick him for receiving stolen goods surely ? It's still your boat , regardless of how many times it has been sold on ...

The point is , Ebay still have the peoples details, so it wouldn't take Clouseau to track them down.

Parsonsheath

Visit site
I do not agree, you can only take the legal title that the seller has, so if you buy from a thief it does not belong to you in law and must be returned to the lawful owner.

Even worse, if you have spent a shedful of cash on improvements you can wave goodby to that cash as you have no recall against the lawful owner.

windlipper

Puerto Calero Lanzarote, and Warwickshire (When I
Visit site
Correct, you cannot assume legal title. BUT if any person acquires property honestly and with a belief that the seller had the right to sell it then the person acquiring it MAY have a claim to title. The only way it can be sorted out is in the court.
Example - car is stolen by A from B. A sells it to C who buys it in good faith with documentation and has no reason to believe it has been stolen. It cannot be automatically taken from C and returned to B because C can claim legal title. (Although this frequently happens). The final outcome can only be determined by a court.
Advice - if you ever get the police come round and tell you you have bought stolen property and they demand that you give it up - tell them to go away (politely). Provided you have bought the property honestly and in good faith you may hang onto it until a court decides who is the rightful owner. Of course if you do this you cannot sell or dispose of it or you may be guilty of handling stolen property.

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
Whatever happened to Caveat Emptor? Surely it is the responsibility of the buyer to establish that the seller has title to the goods offered. Acting "In good faith" is not enough and would be no remedy in law.

alorwin

Visit site
Looking from another angle, Ebay is one of the best ways of exposing criminals and assisting in recovery of stolen items. Many people complain about seeing their stolen items on Ebay, I remember the days when you never saw your stolen item again. Its better than crimewatch! I just struggle to believe that some lowlife will steal something then take a photo of it (to assist in identification), then usually link it via their account to their own name and address and then put all this incriminating evidence on the world wide web !!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE , if anyone steals anything of mine , stay loyal to ebay and dont sell it on the local car boot sale or local boozer where I will never see it again.

Moonchild

www.saillanzarote.com
We bought a boat item from ebay, only to be contacted by the police to say it was stolen. Obviously we had to give it back to the owner. However we ended up with no item plus no refund.
You live and learn.