Kalymnos town robbery from boat

Debs15

Visit site
Be Aware !!!
At 3 am this morning in port with a force 6/7 going on we were awake in bed due to the noise as you can imagine.
Suddenly there was a loud bang on the back of the boat and we both thought the same thing, theres someone on our boat ! We sleep in the back so would not have heard from the front cabin with all the wind.
My husband jumped up unlocked the doors and burst onto the deck, there was a man on the back, he ran at him and fortunately he jumped off. He ran off into the darkness, after further investigation the fishing rod had been taken from the back frame.
We always fold up our passerelle and we were 2.5 mtrs off the quay!
A frightening experience, the harbour master said this happens all the time, best to report to port police.
Please if you come here be careful and lock everything away.
We are both ok but a little on edge after the experience and not much sleep.
Otherwise, very safe quay in strong winds, some surging when ferries come in.

OldBawley

Visit site
I know just how you feel now, sorry to hear of the robbery.

Since we ware robed on Rhodes a few years back I made a very low tech alarm system.
A 1,5 € piezo alarm witch is activated by touching a extreme fine fishing line that I rig around the cockpit. Low tech, low price, functions excellent. Takes just a few seconds to rig the line.
Once returned to our anchored boat and the alarm was on. No burglary. Swimming thief must have panicked and left. Boarding ladder was pulled down.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sorry to hear of the robbery.2.5 meters is a hell of a jump in the dark!

I was thinking that,you be looking for someone with long legs, , joking apart ,it not nice wake up to find some one onboard , if we go a quay we always keep the boat well away , just let the lines loses normaly does the job or take some chain in ,
I not sure if I borther run after someone once his of the boat you just don't know who with him , but on the boat one of us would end up In the water for sure .
We all have to remember the days when we could leave every thing open are gone sad to say .

OldBawley

Visit site
Greece is the most secure place we know. We ware robbed in Rhodes but not by Greeks.
Turkey...some places that are known for swimming robbers. ( Orhaniye, Marmaris, Fethiye ) but still lots better than European country's.
French canals, not safe anymore, surely around towns. Also quite some violence by grown up youth against “Rich” yachty´s.
I have not been in a big city in the last decade, hear from acquaintances that walking the streets at night is dangerous even for a muscular bloke.
I like Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Friends of ours got rob in Messilonghi , there daughter lost passport cards money , this happened while we all sat on the back of the boat having a drink , gypes boys three kept us watching them while one snatch a bag , we didn't find out to a lot later , PP or local police wasn't interested , the quay in Messilonghi is well known for this , so be a where if you moor up to it ,.

Debs15

Visit site
K
I know just how you feel now, sorry to hear of the robbery.

Since we ware robed on Rhodes a few years back I made a very low tech alarm system.
A 1,5 € piezo alarm witch is activated by touching a extreme fine fishing line that I rig around the cockpit. Low tech, low price, functions excellent. Takes just a few seconds to rig the line
Once returned to our anchored boat and the alarm was on. No burglary. Swimming thief must have panicked and left. Boarding ladder was pulled down.

That sounds good, did you buy in Greece?

Last edited:

Debs15

Visit site
Thanks for your comments.
We found out today is the local junkie who has been trying to sell it in the tavernas and fishing shop and we have description.
They said that they are robbing the locals too, as if they haven't enough to put up with at the moment!
The police apparently pick them up from time to time and lock them up for 20 days then release them again.
Anyway the quay is on red alert tonight and we have the horn and winch handy!
Yes gone are the days when you could leave your boat unlocked and open at night...........

OldBawley

Visit site
Bought in Greece. It is a piezo alarm, 3 button cell batteries inside, and a small magnet that if moved activates a reed switch. Price 1,5 €. Hardware store.

I mounted the thingy on a piece of ply, the small magnet connected to the fishing line.
Fishing line fed trough some stainless steel rings placed on the corners of the aft deck.
Anyone moving on the back half of the boat will touch the fishing line, the magnet is pulled away and the alarm sounds.
Thingy is in fact a window opening alarm.