KAD44 Questions

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Right you clever lot. Some Easter questions for you...

1) I understand this staining is caused by a leak in the exhaust system. How easy is it to fix?

2) What are these?

3) To my untrained eye, looks like there's been a leak from the impellor cover that has sprayed water over the alternator. The VP replacement alternator is £500 or so, however I understand that a compatible part can be purchased for £150 or so (VP don't actually make the originals anyway). Is there such a thing as a 'marine alternator' or are all alternators equal. I guess I have to buy a new pully too? I assume that fitting a new one is a simpel job?

If buying a new non Volvo part, is it worth spraying them green (I am quite fussy aout these things). Do they need to be primed first?

Pete

CLB

Visit site
Pic 2. Electronic gear actuators. Electric from helm to these, then solenoid operated cable to drives.
Or equally I guess could be throttles. Same principle. Where do the red cables go?

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site
Pic 3 does it need a new alternator? Looks like surface rust. Easily treated.

rlw

Visit site
The odds are the waterpump is leaking along the shaft rather than the impellorhousing. If the alternater is fine I would just order a new pulley and fan. Did this on mine.

Rob

Portofino

Visit site
Welcome to the little talked about world of VP older stern drive engines .
Sorry to say this Pete but those pics are reason I moved away from VP stuff -well the outdrive smaller stuff .
I,ve said this before it "marine ageing " that the prob here - corrosion of I my view unsuitable metals and poor design .
Folks go on about hrs etc ,it's not the inside oilly bits -they are bomb proof last 1000,s of hours it's all the bolt on stuff that lets go .
Pic one --cast iron riser coroding away ,probably a duff cuff seal higher up behind out of sight --corossion of the lip ruins the seal leads to water leak .
Engine out jobbie in a few years --so if you are gonna tackle that --there will be a big list of other stuff .
JTB had a similiar ( + seawater escape enhanced ) problems --there's a thread somewhare .
Pic two --covered .
Pic three -it's none original anyhow the alternator on it .
Leak is more likey the pump shaft seal itself ,look further back the paints bubbling up .
Yup you can tidy up the pulley -that's an originsl fitted to the "new" alternator .
What I did is remove all the pulleys and rubdown and paint with waxoil --then periodically topped up .
It also helps mitigate "black dust disease " --which shortens the life span of the belts --that pully as it is is quite abrasives to the belt --they snap usually at a sods law moment --so practice replacement /carry spares etc ..

And this is just the VP bit INSIDE boat ----- don,t get me started on the engineering sence of the leg .

The bolt on bits just need constant TLC , exhaust elbows corrode , intercooler casing corrodes , water pumps start to drip , fuel pipe alloy corrodes , alternators end up splashed with sea water -usually opening the strainers .

None of the above occurs with a MAN engine -ok a bit more space --but it's all been thought out .
It's not perfect they are 2003 --but look no leaks ,seawater damage or coroson of the bolt on bits
null_zpstrddyapj.jpg

Get a CAT , Pershing 37 or go older and bigger 40-45 ft for a none VP outdrive set up -d12 and the 7l 480 on shafts are ok

Portofino

Visit site
Any chance of using those "defects " to engineer cocking off returning deposit ?

Look at this 12 M shaft , CAT,s --air con ,Passerelle , holding tank etc
Take a close look at the two engine pics -- integrity of the engineering --
So that's gonna cost nowt in big bills over and above normal maintenance going fwds
Or any retro install stuff ,it fully loaded
http://www.mondialbroker.com/Barca.aspx?pk=00fe6c1e-7d40-49b4-aefd-af4ac8cad115

stelican

Visit site
Looks like the pump seal has be leaking for a long time and as Portofino said look at all that corrosion on the pump drive housing. I would imagine that there is probably corrosion on the main flat belt pulleys etc.
Still can all be rectified should be picked up on routine checks.

A_8

Visit site
#1 is the exhaust elbow, very common and usually hold for up to 10 yrs. Non VP original circa £200 and an easy job if you can get to it.

A_8

Visit site
And if the generator works just change the pulley and the "fan" stuff behind if you want it nice and shiny. The pulley will eat the belt if you leave it as is.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Any chance of using those "defects " to engineer cocking off returning deposit ?

So that's gonna cost nowt in big bills over and above normal maintenance going fwds

Give up - he doesn't want oddball Italian stuff

Boat2016

Visit site
Just looking at the connector block on the trim pump has bodge written all over it and would make me keen to see what else has been bodged.

The alternator looks like it's had a dose of salt water from the week strainer lid not being fitted correctly.

I would rather have a repair bill for a KAD44 than I would for the MAN above if that decided to give up.

MJGH

Visit site

Porto the recommendation above would possibly appear to contradict the advise given below on the 09/04/17?

Saw the date PeteM started this reread the whole thing from the start and noticed ,he Allways wanted a T34 .
So I think give the guy a break ,infact if it comes to fruition indeed rarther sweet .
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...get-another- boat!/page59#y0q5qhiihZwMTCe0.99

Portofino

Visit site
It's a while now since I had to grapple with 10 y + VP kad what ever --time heals wounds
The sight of the engine pics --it all came flooding back --no pun intetended :)
A couple of IT brokers have still got me on a round robin e-mail monthly list -yesterday amongst others that
"odd ball " as Jez quotes for asking €75K ---considering its fully a specced and CAT powered on shafts -compared to a un specced T34 for I suspect more dosh + retro fitting stuff .
It's very similar shape wise .
Having seen the actual engine pics now -- I,am happy to revisit my earlier advise and amend , even at the risk you are happy to point out ---trying to help the guy
Those engines INSIDE the boat look like a money pit IMHO

Take the alternator --sea water pump is leaking -has been for years looking at the pic .
It's already an after market with the fan /pully from the original --as mentioned it gets doused when the strainer is opened or leaks - the wire connections at the back ( out of shot ) corrode as well -- so the tachometer packs up or gets erratic ,or the charge light /alarm comes on ,before the belt snaps .
So the connections have to be loosened -de-corroded and nipped up and plenty of wax oil .
Water pipes + conections + valve s-- where --right above the alternator --- what were (who?) they thinking ? --tell me some one

If the seller was on top of this and have a thick file of bills -water pump overhaul , new elbows /riser etc
Then fine --
Pete,s enquiring else where about Tappets --- hmm -200 hrs -
MAN every 1000 hours ,not sure about CAT , ancillary bolted on stuff is made from more corossion resistant metals and lasts longer--more fit n forget --see the alternator pic I posted and the CAT pics on the link -

Older Vp /outdrive stuff needs a lot of TLC by a mech minded owner AND a deep pocketed owner .
Seem to to suffer a lot MORE from "marine ageing " --

Last edited:

stelican

Visit site
Don't know if they are a money pit on the very limited view of photos really need to see more photos and of course as you say the drives.
The corrosion can be dealt with but to eradicate long term replacement and good maintenance required.
Looks like a turn the key and go owner so far. Definately needs a professional to inspect.

MapisM

Visit site
I would rather have a repair bill for a KAD44 than I would for the MAN above if that decided to give up.
You are joking, right?
And I'm talking in absolute terms, without even start considering that you are actually comparing a VP engine whose displacement is less than one third of that MAN engine...!
As a former proud owner of KAD42 and KAD43 powered boats, if that's anything to go by, I'll happily leave you the pleasure of paying any KAD44 repair bill. :encouragement:

MapisM

Visit site
Pic 2. Electronic gear actuators. Electric from helm to these, then solenoid operated cable to drives.
Or equally I guess could be throttles.
My money is on the former rather than the latter. The KAD44 had electronic governor, IIRC.

MapisM

Visit site
You are a much better wordsmith than me P
Well, in hindsight I guess my comment might sound a bit rude vs. petem, and that wasn't my intention by any stretch of imagination.
P, I hope you don't mind - I just tell it as I see it. All the very best anyway, as always! :encouragement:

Boat2016

Visit site
You are joking, right?
And I'm talking in absolute terms, without even start considering that you are actually comparing a VP engine whose displacement is less than one third of that MAN engine...!
As a former proud owner of KAD42 and KAD43 powered boats, if that's anything to go by, I'll happily leave you the pleasure of paying any KAD44 repair bill. :encouragement:

If you know anywhere that can supply MAN parts at a sensible price then please share? I know VP are far from cheap but they don't take the p*** like many others do, a friend who had MAN was constantly complaining about the dealer prices and a lot was stuff that was main dealer only, not sure what model he had but think was about 600hp