kad32 service

taormina

Visit site
Evening all, anybody know of a idiots guide to the service of a couple of kad32 engines plus
outdrives, dpe 195.

found one that presumed u did this sort of thing all the time!
ie, take propellars off, no mention of how u remove the outer cone, or which way the props are threaded etc.
thought id do a light service (essentials) myself this year, as i recon i paid for volvopauls boating last season!! : )

Thanks in advance....

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I might come over and do it for you if you want to see how its done.

After all the work done this year it wont be as complex as this years schedule, remember I did a lot of engine repairs as well.

dominic221

Visit site
I'm also looking for one of these; I've trawled through google and amazon, but can't find anything specific for KAD32 that isnt intended for an experienced mechanic.

taormina

Visit site
Looks like were in the same boat dominic, frustrating isnt it!
Thanks Paul, will consider, but like i said, trying to do bare minimum this year, and keep costs down, the kads ran a treat this year, next year will get more done......

Thepipdoc

Visit site
Evening all, anybody know of a idiots guide to the service of a couple of kad32 engines plus
outdrives, dpe 195.

found one that presumed u did this sort of thing all the time!
ie, take propellars off, no mention of how u remove the outer cone, or which way the props are threaded etc.
thought id do a light service (essentials) myself this year, as i recon i paid for volvopauls boating last season!! : )

Thanks in advance....

Perhaps one question at a time to those that know about these things might help....... .............right, me first!
To check or change the impellers, should the cooling system be emptied prior to removing the impeller housing cover? (KAD32)

Peanuts

Visit site
Perhaps one question at a time to those that know about these things might help....... .............right, me first!
To check or change the impellers, should the cooling system be emptied prior to removing the impeller housing cover? (KAD32)

Hi

I understand your questioning but the answer is no, it does not need draining down, just remove the small brass screws holding the cover on allowing the small amount of water to drain out, if you want just have a cloth handy at the bottom of the pump body just to soak up the water.

When you refit the cover don't over tighten those screws holding the cover on - OK

Awaiting the next question!!

Thepipdoc

Visit site
Hi

I understand your questioning but the answer is no, it does not need draining down, just remove the small brass screws holding the cover on allowing the small amount of water to drain out, if you want just have a cloth handy at the bottom of the pump body just to soak up the water.

When you refit the cover don't over tighten those screws holding the cover on - OK

Awaiting the next question!!

Excellent ... Thanks.

Next one is:

Should I flush the cooling system with fresh water periodically?

Peanuts

Visit site
Hi

Didn't expect a question back that quick, not to worry.

Now just to confirm, what do you consider to be the freshwater system, I know what I think it is but some people get a bit confused. To me the freshwater system is the one with the antifreeze in it, the other part of the cooling system is of course the seawater cooling part, assuming your boat is in the sea that is.
If you are talking about the freshwater system being the one with antifreeze in it then it should be changed every year according to VP, I must admit what I usually do is to drain of a litre or so of antifreeze via the tubing that is located on the stbd side of the engine, it's the one without the blue tyrap on, thats the saltwater drain, the reason I go from there is that piece of tubing tends to collect muck so by draining it off removes it from the engine, if fact on several engines I have had to push a piece of wire up there to clear it, once drained off the required amount then top up the expansion tank with new antifreeze. I know someone will be along to say you should change the antifreeze completely but I do check the S.G of the mixture and keep it topped up to prevent freezing. I hope that sort of makes sense to you.

Next question?

Pendana

Visit site
There is a simple to follow guide published by Volvo Penta called the "Do it yourself manual". Covers all aspects of maintenance servicing of engines and gearbox/sterndrives. The one that covers the 31,32,42,42,43,44 & 300 series costs about £30 from Volspec, Keypart etc.
Get your credit card out and I'll bet you have the book within 48hours!!:D

malcolm2

Visit site
The "Do it yourself manual" as outlined by Pendana is much more comprehensive, and user friendly than the owners instruction book. Well worth the money if you are going to get stuck into your own servicing.