KAD 44 engine stops

Jason JCP007

Visit site
Hello
Had an opportunity to get my Targa 34 out for a spin two weeks back before our marina lock gates go closed for maintenance for a month.
Seemed to be going well (after spending a few hours recharging batteries as when I arrived, my shore power had tripped), but then each time I put the throttles forward, all as per usual until, as revs neared 3000rpm just after superchargers shut off, my port engine cut out.
It restarted fine after but did this on the three occasions I tried the same, all fine running at any range below the supercharger cut out point.
Frustratingly, I didn't have the wisdom at the time to check for a fault code after the cut out.
I had a similar issue with the other engine a few years ago, but I recall that a fuse was blowing then, that all got sorted by fitting new supercharger clutch.
Feel that I want to fit a new supercharger clutch on this engine now, even though not blowing a fuse - has anyone had any experience of this symptom on an engine and realised a resolve?
Just want to do whatever I can now so that by the time I can get out of the marina again, I might have done all possible to fix it.

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi. I’m not sure that the supercharger would stop the engine running, out with a real odd and extreme event. It’s surely most likely one of two things.
Fuel delivery and/or quality
Or
Electrical related. Something which might cause a shut down or fuel solenoid to close.

kashurst

Visit site
If the engine just stops dead it is almost certainly electrical, and probably not related to the supercharger.
Supercharger coils are pretty simple and if something is wrong it will either not cut in or blow the s/c fuse. I would be going through the engine harness etc looking for pinched/trapped wires, loose connections etc. Don't forget the battery connections switches too. Get a can of good spray on contact cleaner and go through all the ECU and fuel injection pump conectors as well. Take the ECU connector off carefully, give both conecctors a really good soak with contact cleaner and put the connector back on and off a few times so all the little blades/contacts wipe properly.

If the engine splutters and runs rough and gradually dies that would most likely be fuel related, dirty fuel, bloked filters, pipes etc.

QBhoy

Visit site
If the engine just stops dead it is almost certainly electrical, and probably not related to the supercharger.
Supercharger coils are pretty simple and if something is wrong it will either not cut in or blow the s/c fuse. I would be going through the engine harness etc looking for pinched/trapped wires, loose connections etc. Don't forget the battery connections switches too. Get a can of good spray on contact cleaner and go through all the ECU and fuel injection pump conectors as well. Take the ECU connector off carefully, give both conecctors a really good soak with contact cleaner and put the connector back on and off a few times so all the little blades/contacts wipe properly.

If the engine splutters and runs rough and gradually dies that would most likely be fuel related, dirty fuel, bloked filters, pipes etc.
Agree. Much better put than I did last night. Excellent reply !

Jason JCP007

Visit site
Great tips and advice thanks, working through electrical now, will assume not fuel as runs fine other than that clean shut off I experienced, although same engine does seem a bit lumpy after starting until up to temp and supercharger cuts out then idles smoothly.
Will start checking battery terminals and check and clean all as advised, will report back if I find something. Thank you.

Jason JCP007

Visit site
Check the black round plug from injection pump .
Thanks VPaul, will check that first when back to the boat - hopefully tomorrow, not found anything untoward yet, but hadn't got as far as the fuel injector plug.
One thing I did notice yesterday, as mentioned earlier, the faulty port engine idled 'lumpy' until up to temperature - I now see that it only does this when the stbd engine is running too, port idles smoothly on it's own.
Guess I could be checking everything on stbd engine too, in case. Might be unrelated to port engine cutting out though.

kashurst

Visit site
What ever is wrong with the port engine, the starboard one won't be far behind. Check everything as they must be at least twenty years old.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I had a similar issue as a result of bad batteries on my boat.

If they're been fully discharged they could be knackered. My advice would be to get the batteries drop tested before doing anything else.

Jason JCP007

Visit site
I had a similar issue as a result of bad batteries on my boat.

If they're been fully discharged they could be knackered. My advice would be to get the batteries drop tested before doing anything else.
Good shout, I've got a contact that I can use, I don't have the kit to do this, should be able to get him along to do in situ. Thank you.

Jason JCP007

Visit site
Just posting the results here; did all I could whilst we were locked in for the month:
Checked all plugs and connections inc' from the injection pump, nothing untoward.
Tested batteries, leisures failed, starter not great, so replaced both leisures & starter.
All the while, this issue with the port engine idling lumpy & sometimes cutting out, now worsening (only whilst stbd engine running too), noticed that the port charging voltage sometimes dipping (on the guage), so got an auto electrician in armed with a new alternator, to find that it was the stbd engine alternator failing - replaced that and both running sweetly.
Not sure if I still have the factory fitted set up for charging on my T34, must be some logical reason that the stbd alternator failing causes the port ingine to suffer and port guage to show low charging.
Our lock gates were back up & running just before last weekend so got out to test, the first issue with the port engine cutting out each time we got up near 3000 rpm has gone. Surprised, but very happy :), did 20 miles with lots of up and down the revs, no probs.
Shame I couldn't get out to test after each of the bits above we did, but one of them has fixed it.

Thanks for all of your advice.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Just posting the results here; did all I could whilst we were locked in for the month:
Checked all plugs and connections inc' from the injection pump, nothing untoward.
Tested batteries, leisures failed, starter not great, so replaced both leisures & starter.
All the while, this issue with the port engine idling lumpy & sometimes cutting out, now worsening (only whilst stbd engine running too), noticed that the port charging voltage sometimes dipping (on the guage), so got an auto electrician in armed with a new alternator, to find that it was the stbd engine alternator failing - replaced that and both running sweetly.
Not sure if I still have the factory fitted set up for charging on my T34, must be some logical reason that the stbd alternator failing causes the port ingine to suffer and port guage to show low charging.
Our lock gates were back up & running just before last weekend so got out to test, the first issue with the port engine cutting out each time we got up near 3000 rpm has gone. Surprised, but very happy :), did 20 miles with lots of up and down the revs, no probs.
Shame I couldn't get out to test after each of the bits above we did, but one of them has fixed it.

Thanks for all of your advice.
I suspected it would be an electrical issue (it was on my T34 with 44's). Glad you've got it sorted out.