Just pictures

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Cuxton yesterday evening

View attachment 130147
Well after my many years spent boating on the river Medway I do think that the Medway in the Halling /Cuxton reaches is quite beautifull , the low sky line with few Houses spread out on a fairly flat landscape , remains by way of Docks , Warfage , derilict boats , strange built monuments to a bygone age = sheer nostalgic beauty

LONG_KEELER

Visit site

This is a picture from my prized East Coast Rivers of 1967.
They are Leigh Cocklers coming home and using the oars. But I can't quite make out why.
Perhaps the water is too shallow to use an engine. Probably need multiple clicks on the picture.

Jan Harber

Visit site

They are Leigh Cocklers coming home and using the oars. But I can't quite make out why.
Perhaps the water is too shallow to use an engine. Probably need multiple clicks on the picture.
I'm ashamed to say that I've never noticed this photo before, although it would almost certainly have been taken by my dad, Jack Coote. It is puzzling that the cockler appears to be proceeding stern-first up the creek. Unless they are actually going down the creek, trying to get away early on the tide?
It looks as if the tide has hardly made at all so that is probably why they're not using the engine.

steve yates

Visit site
Couple of iphone snaps from Bethfrans seatrial, down benfleet creek at sunrise, over to queensborough for a couple of pints and back again to bump back up the creek as it got dark

Attachments

• 4811AC71-863F-4B50-96A1-F239794C8E2C.jpeg
    4811AC71-863F-4B50-96A1-F239794C8E2C.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 5DEA5A16-19D8-46AC-9011-660E0B4D6EC3.jpeg
    5DEA5A16-19D8-46AC-9011-660E0B4D6EC3.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 43

Capt Popeye

Visit site

Well from observing the Fishing Craft (Bawleys) at Rochester Pier in the 60s , they used to be seen using 'long sweeps' (oars) to move their craft a short way , usually around the vicinity of their moorings . Guess its better be rowed than chance the prop collecting crap or lines or even old pots , that could well loose them a days Fishing at least

Very good photo (notice it was not taken on an I Phone etc {:)#)

PeterV

Visit site

I remember them doing this. They went up stern first so they could get out forwards. And they used sweeps because they were bumping along the bottom with the tide. There was no point using engines, they’d just go a few yards then run hard aground.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I remember them doing this. They went up stern first so they could get out forwards. And they used sweeps because they were bumping along the bottom with the tide. There was no point using engines, they’d just go a few yards then run hard aground.

Thank you.

It’s always nice when someone who knows the answer, from their personal experience, posts it.

This is something that is well within living memory yet it was about to be lost to history. And now we all know.

Jan Harber

Visit site
Thank you for enlightening us. It's good to know there are still some of us alive who are old enough to remember the not so very 'olden days'.
When he took that photo Jack, like the rest of us of in the 1960s, was blissfully unaware that in the not so distant future digital cameras would replace film. And he certainly never envisaged a time when everyone would be taking photographs with their phones!

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Might mention that Boats before Engines were fitted all used to use either a Pole , Sweeps , Pulled along from shore etc etc in order to get out of tight spots or get into main channel so that they could actually use the wind to sail effectively ; so them Boaters of recent years using Sweeps to save using the boats engine were most probably bought up that way as Sail was the normal at that time

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
Good morning from Cuxton.
273998261_10224330472706987_1117296217827564519_n.jpg

Concerto

Visit site
Well it has been a while since I added any photos. Three recent views of Chatham Marina showing the different weather we have had.

IMG_3479 1000pix.jpg
A balmy day on 24 March 2022

IMG_3593 1000pix.jpg
Chucking it down on 6 April 2022

IMG_3594 1000pix.jpg
A tad breezy on 7 April 2022.