just looking at some of my old post's

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
just looking at some of my old post\'s

and saw this was my first ever post on here

Good morning all. I'm looking to buy (early next year) our first inland cruiser. I want something that me and the girlfriend can comfortably use for long weekends, so reasonable room inside to sleep and do basic cooking, plus would also want something that it practical for day use on hot days for about 6 people max, ideally room for us all outside without being to cramped. I will want to use it on the thames (around marlow) and will have a budget of around £8000 - £10000. So far I quite like the look of a shetland four plus 2, but would be interested in any other suggestions. Also would a boat like this be suitable for going up the tidal part of the thames (upto london bridge)?

funny how the budget and boat type change over time (mostly due the the other halfs input and standards) as tomorrow we have our handover day on our first boat - a sealine S23, bought for considerably more then the £8000 - £10,000 budget mentioned above !

No Regrets

Visit site
Re: just looking at some of my old post\'s

Strangely, we went the other way.

Our Scarani 700, very similar to your sealine, has been our boat for last year, but we found it entirely unsuitable for the upper Thames, due to the lack of space, wandery steering and found the lack of side walkways a pain at locks.

We love the economical Volvo Diesel though, at half a gallon an hour, and the appealing looks, but hate the uselessness in rain.

So we switched to something similar to what you were originally looking for, which is no longer, but far more spacious, nicer in locks, is weatherproof and steers beautifully, and for only £11000, while the lovely two year old Scarani is up for sale at £29,000 (Great for Estuary and Sea use though)

Funny old world eh?

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net

we actually looked at your Scarani when it was up for sale at Penton Hook!
Very nice boat, but at the time it was just out of our price range, plus if I remember rightly, it didn't have a shower (something SWMBO insisted on) and it only had a single berth in the mid cabin. Liked the cabin though, nice and light and very clean.

No Regrets

Visit site

Oh it has a shower, but it's on the swim platform.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SWMBO wouldn't sleep in it at all, but I tried both the doubles The rear cockpit converts into a sunlounger/ double bed) and they were fine. The single under the sole wasn't my scene though...

I wish I had done a little more research really, as I bought a boat like somebody would buy a car: New, Shiny and fully featured, instead of comfortable and practical.

I suppose I got more 'boaty' over the year too, appreciating traditional stuff more than pointy things.

I would love to get a trailer for Shamby and chuck her in the Channel though....Mwuahahahaaaaa!

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net

well hopefully you enjoyed her anyway. Because we have spent so much time time saving for this boat, we have been able to take our time and do lots of research / boat viewing / etc, which has probably helped us not rush into it and buy the first boat we saw, which if it was left to me, I would of probably brought every boat I have been on by now! Where as SWMBO has always found fault with every boat we have looked at (to smelly / to dirty / no shower / no storage / you expect me to sleep in that coffin!)
the sealine S23 was the only boat she has ever been on, that she couldn't find a fault with, and had to agree we her

No Regrets

Visit site

I'll bet it's one of those Pink floral interiors though..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net

not a flower in sight ...

xmasS23017.jpg

No Regrets

Visit site

Oh thats nice /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The pink stuff is truly hideous. That Blue pinstripe is lovely /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gavi

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
we found it entirely unsuitable for the upper Thames, due to the lack of space, wandery steering and found the lack of side walkways a pain at locks.

[/ QUOTE ]

... that's why we moved from looking at a Carver to buying a Freeman (our floating caravan). Shaft drive onto a rudder so she handles well at slow speeds. Big cabin (with windows) so she's as much fun to be in as she is to be on. Wide decks so locking is a doddle (when we do it well!). And not attractive at all - except to us /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rr_123

Visit site

Gavi, you went past in Shikara whilst I was painting in the saloon last weekend and I didn't have to miss a stroke, that lack of wake is attractive to me too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

horses for courses; displacement/semi-displacement hulls are just more suitable for the inland waterways, and, call it a floating carvan if you like, but the accomodation is far more suitable to comfortable evenings out or weekends away!

That said, I came so close to buying the sealine... v.v.nice boats... trailable too; worlds your oyster!

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Gavi, you went past in Shikara whilst I was painting in the saloon last weekend and I didn't have to miss a stroke, that lack of wake is attractive to me too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Boat salonn? Any pix?

rr_123

Visit site

Been Keeping a record, was going to post a picture diary of the whole process when "finished"

If it all goes to plan ...

R