junior lifejacket

colhel

Visit site
I'm looking at getting our 10 yr old Grandson an auto inflate lifejacket rather than the rather bulky "foam"? filled type. Are they sized just on weight or is height important too? Any tips welcome. Thanks :)

Pump-Out

Visit site
Weight is the primary factor. Chest size next.
Understand, like all children's clothes, that it will need replacing as he grows.

In addition, make sure that he has a practice with it. Children are taught to swim on their fronts. He has to understand that the lifejacket will turn him on his back. If the first time he experiences this effect is in the middle of an incident, he will likely panic even more.

Google for "Children's Automatic Lifejacket" you will get heaps of returns, and a variety of prices.

Momac

Visit site
Our grandchildren are a good spread of age groups from 1 to almost 10
A normal adult auto life jacket was way too big for the 9 year old last summer but she was happy with the ugly but very practical Baltic buoyancy aid type.

However if being used regularly the following looks good for 20kg to 50kg weight range
Screenshot 2024-03-08 22.13.18.png

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Why? Children LOVE to be in the water, hence the foam filled lifejackets.

By the time then have gone swimming for the fourth in their lifejacket in an afternoon you will be heading off to buy more re-arming kits.

colhel

Visit site
Why? Children LOVE to be in the water, hence the foam filled lifejackets.

By the time then have gone swimming for the fourth in their lifejacket in an afternoon you will be heading off to buy more re-arming kits.
It's a little more complicated than that. I'm trying to make it easier on ourselves to encourage lifejacket wearing and if I have to re-arm more frequently, so be it. I can understand his reluctance, especially on a hot day, to wearing a foam LJ .

Time Out

Visit site
It's a little more complicated than that. I'm trying to make it easier on ourselves to encourage lifejacket wearing and if I have to re-arm more frequently, so be it. I can understand his reluctance, especially on a hot day, to wearing a foam LJ .

Foam to auto was a game changer for us ( was 8 years old) quite simply if he wanted to go swimming or paddle boarding he would use one of the many foam buoyancy aids we have. Non collar mostly - Helly Hanson.

Boathook

Visit site
When my nephew and niece were young we had auto junior crewsaver lifejackets for sailing and then some basic foam ones for the dinghy, beach, etc. They could both swim from a very young age and both happily wore the jackets as required.

colhel

Visit site
Foam to auto was a game changer for us ( was 8 years old) quite simply if he wanted to go swimming or paddle boarding he would use one of the many foam buoyancy aids we have. Non collar mostly - Helly Hanson.
Yep this is what we're aiming for. And, if we can persuade him to wear it on the pontoon, our nerves might get a rest a bit too 🙂