June YM

claymore

Visit site
2 more major features both based on that miniscule, oft repeated and getting rather tiresomebut Oh so important area to YM journalists - Essex.

Are we short of petrol coupons that we have to stay in that area. I will almost probably never sail around there and I cannot believe I'm the only one who is really getting tired of these articles which don't say anything new.

I have made the decision that should I have to endure another blasted article based on the blasted Deben or blasted Pin Mill or worst of all the blasted magician of the blasted swatchblastedways, then that will be the final amount that I contribute to Mr Gelders blasted pension.

Come on you wussies - you are just cruising the same old grounds. Its tedious.l

sarabande

Visit site
Ummm, not sure that as an expatriate reiver I would want hoards of AWBs fleeing the East Coast mud to the North...

Yes, lack of editorial imagination plus magazine market saturation equals stultifying repetition and lack of originality.

Otherwise known as Grumpy Old Man's Theorem.

jimi

Visit site
I opened this thread thinking my mother in law had been awarded a YM. Thank heavens it is not so an the ocean is still a mother in law free zone

jamesjermain

Visit site
I suppose it makes a change from being told we have a Solent bias. It quite takes me back to my early days on the mag when all (no, most) of our practicals took place on the East Coast thanks to JDS's residency.

Ninety per cent of the contents of YM are non-area specific - practicals, tests, comment and news. In the June issue the area specific articles relate to:

Ouso - English Channel/general
Sailing Skills - Newcastle/North Sea
The Joys of Essex - err... Essex
Ships of the Desert - Red Sea/Suez
Kiwi Magic - New Zealand - probably!
Behind Bars - Suffolk (OK, quite close to Essex)

So not much sign of undue bias there.

I agree that most of the practicals and boat tests take place on the SOlent, but this is sedondary to the content.

Overall, I reckon the East, South and South West coasts are covered pretty much in proportion with the sailing populations. If I sailed in Wales or the north west I might feel a bit hard done by but then I would have much worse things to put up with.

On the other hand, the Scots, particularly Clyde based Scots probably do have a grievance. But it is an awfully long way away for most of us.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Northwest coast

James
Would welcome an article on cruising the Irish sea and Scotland's isles

Suggested ideas

The irish sea ''its hell on earth with the probability of drowning''

Summer in scotland
''Midges the size of dustbin lids asnd constant rain''

Ireland
''Nowhere to stop and its all overpriced''

Northwales
''The shipwreck coastline explored''

In fact anything that will discourage people from finding out about it would be good /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

claymore

Visit site
Oh very droll
Listen matey - I'm on a crusade here - the least you can do is agree and say there's not enough written about Scunthorpe.
Yachting life indeed...harrumph......

jimi

Visit site
I've always found the paucity of magazine footage about Fleetwood and its environs rather distressing. Have you any photos to assuage my yearnings?

Aja

Visit site
At least the good ship Claymore gets mentioned in 'Yachting Life'.

Harumph (with one 'r') indeed.

Donald

jamesjermain

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've always found the paucity of magazine footage about Fleetwood and its environs rather distressing. Have you any photos to assuage my yearnings?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I have some of Grimsby South Dock...

Aja

Visit site
That\'ll be the phlegm then.....

Apparently didn't want another person to win it. Political.

Person did have a (very long) log published.

Donald

bigwow

Visit site
"If I sailed in Wales or the north west I might feel a bit hard done by but then I would have much worse things to put up with. "

Like reasonable marina fees, no M25 traffic jam sailing, lots of places to cruise, with 4 different countries within easy reach, etc etc
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Superstrath

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, the Scots, particularly Clyde based Scots probably do have a grievance. But it is an awfully long way away for most of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

No grievance here. As for the "long way", an hour on a plane will put you in Prestwick, on the Clyde, within very easy reach of all the marinas.
Ryanair will have about thirty quid including taxes off you for that.

I have no problem attending meetings in the south. Southampton is do-able in an hour and a half, not quite so cheaply. I find it odd that people drive the width of England on congested roads to access their sailing, when Scotland is not a long way away in practical terms.

Sixpence

Visit site
if you tell everyone about marina fees as well , you'll end up getting everyone up there which will drive down south coast prices , just so long as they don't all get part way and stop here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

claymore

Visit site
I feel we'd be letting our southern cousins down if we didn't point out the dreadful weather that is a constant feature of scottish sailing, the awful beer and food and the unfriendly nature of peiople.
This advice may seem to fly in the face of my original post but on reflection, perhaps it might be better if we had a few more articles on Cornwall or Devon.
The Germaine one also taught me something today in that apparently Essex and Sussex are different places...are the differences subtle like the difference between Hamilton and Motherwell or somehow bigger?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Yes. It seems that Essex people look like this

300px-Chav.jpg

whilst Sussex people look like this

20060422-Chav_Jim.jpg

So that's clear, then.