Jouet17 / le foxtrot - any thoughts

DownWest

Visit site
Not familiar with the model, but just taken over a Kelt 6.20 DL. Bit bigger, but similar concept. What has appeared is that the French small boats were quite well 'productionized'. All the rig and other bits are well thought through and put together. Quite impressed with the quality of the (old) kit. Bit of sorting needed, esp with the swing plate.

DownWest

Visit site
If you are willing to go up a bit in size think about a Beneteau 210 or211. Basic openplan fully moulded interior with four berths. Eminently trailerable.
Yes, but that is in the same area as the Kelt in size and weight, but much newer and pricier. Three times the weight at around a ton. The Kelt has an open plan with a double and two singles. Just on the beam limit for trailering but not exactly a trailer sailer. Interestingly, it was the only boat of it's size in the 70s to be class B, until the Ben 210 came along, in '91.
A note to Cirruss, make sure the sails are good, otherwise a big chunk of the price.

cirruss

Visit site
Problem is where I am in Romania it is very hard to find any decent trailer boats so have to take what's available its 2700 euro with nearly new registered trailer.

DownWest

Visit site
Problem is where I am in Romania it is very hard to find any decent trailer boats so have to take what's available its 2700 euro with nearly new registered trailer.
Ah, it does help to know where people live...
A new trailer here would likely cost over half of your price for the combo, so the boat sounds reasonable, depending on the kit. The Kelt I am working on has a badly rusted plate, stuck in the ballast keel and the sails are scrap. So have to drop the keel and remove the plate, then make a new one and mod some other sails I have to fit.
Busy winter.

Nice sailing area you have.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Have opportunity to buy one in place of a wayfarer for my family?

SailboatData.com - FOX-TROT 17 Sailboat
That looks like a comfortable little sailing boat for an overnight camping cruise, certainly more comfortable than lying on the floorboards of a Wayfarer under a boom tent. Although the length and beam are a few inches greater, with less sail area and almost twice the displacement of the Wayfarer, you may not get as far in a day, however.

cirruss

Visit site
That looks like a comfortable little sailing boat for an overnight camping cruise, certainly more comfortable than lying on the floorboards of a Wayfarer under a boom tent. Although the length and beam are a few inches greater, with less sail area and almost twice the displacement of the Wayfarer, you may not get as far in a day, however.
Hi! That doesnt worry me so much more importatnt to be nice and stable and predictable for the family.