Jester Challenge

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Is this not the very best race ever?

6 little boats from 21ft to 30ft single handing across the Atlantic... I never bother to follow other 'big' ocean races but this one really turns me on... Interesting that the modern boat 'appears' to be doing so much better than the others but as we do not know where the others all are exactly - maybe not!

There is a little clinker built wood folkboat here for sale - I keep passing it - I mean it would leak like a sieve when it is re-launched - and a lot of wood to keep up - maybe a plastic hull would be better... but that is a race every one of us could participate in - if we really wanted...

It does not matter who wins - just doing it is all that counts...

Michael

Wansworth

Visit site
I agree ,the idea that you can get together a small boat and set off across the Atlantic is a sign that not all is lost and there is hope for human size endevours.I fancy a Junk rigger as clambbering about a little boat is too much for a deck chair sailer!

penultimate

Visit site
I agree, though it is of course a Challenge - not a race. Mogy will be interested to follow the fortunes of K20+JR, SHANTI. I took pictures of her and others before the start but we don't expect to hear any more from her or JESTER until they reach Newport. Nor do we expect to hear from BELGEAN, the Westerly 22 without electrics or even a GPS.
If others are not already aware it is fascinating to watch the progress of STERENN, ANDROMEDA and TRIPLE VENTURE on www.oceanracetrack.com/evtchart.aspx?id=22

Poignard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and a Twister (smashing boats) for £15,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit optimistic to expect to pay for a Twister in decent condition, although if you are in the right place at the right time you could get a bargain.

There are three versions of Twister. All wood, grp hull/deck with wooden cockpit/coachroof [known as Wooden Tops!] and all-grp.

They are excellent, safe sea boats and sail well. The Twister Class Association website www.twister.org.uk provides a lot of information and theer are several for sale listed there. Owners tend to keep them a long time. The Class Organisation is very active and well run. A high percentage of Twister owners are members.

Gordonmc

Visit site
The folkie might take up more quickly than you think if she's been laid up well.
A mate and I were looking at a clinker folk-boat that had stuck on the market for a couple of years. Her owner liberally applied a linseed-based soup on the inside of the hull at frequent intervals and the exterior paint showed there had been no shrinkage at all.
I am pleased to say the boat sold a few months ago, just as her owner was threatening to take a chain saw to it or give it away to save the hard-standing fees.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
It seems to me that almost anybody can get a boat and do the Challenge/race/adventure for relatively small bucks - not much more than a 2nd hand car or a new bigger one if you want a beautiful Twister..

I really cannot understand the apparent lack of interest and enthusiasm for this event when he forum is full of 'sailing' posts about - sailing - electronics, anchors, GPS, Plotters, comments about how big races are not real because they have radio contact and weather routing.

The people out in the Atlantic in their little boats - with modest means - and doing it to do it because it is there are the true spirit of sailing - I think! Or has it all changed? Is there now a different reason for owning a boat?

Bit of a rant I guess

Michael

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I agree. But the Editor of the Yachting World evidently does not, which might be why the IPC Magazines coverage is so poor.

Like you, I'm MUCH more interested in this than in what the sponsored entertainers get up to.

And I'm not interested at all in the lives of the rich and famous - Yachting World, aka Hello Magazine, please note.

Wansworth

Visit site
Sailing across the Atlantic without any of the stuff seen in the magazines ,the mind boggles.Hope they have thierpapers in order as they may end up in Guntanamo,although Cuba apparently has some nice cruiseing areas!

bumblefish

Visit site
I did start a thread on this a wee while ago, wondering if it had enough demand to open a forum. Essentially so that if anyone was interested we could share some ideas about preparation and planning. And even get a 500M passage organised for those who had not done one, including me. I approached the Jester people, rather too close to the start time, they may wish to support one when this one is challenge is over. Maybe IPC would like to take it on?
I have just started work on my Elizabethan 30 (29' 6'') and during many of the jobs I undertake I have at the back of my mind the thought that would this be OK for the Atlantic or what would I change?
It is interesting that the major problem they have encountered so far is self-steering gear failure. Might like to know which system performs best at the end of the challenge?

Wansworth

Visit site
Years ago I bought a MASHFORD 4 Tonner which (sistership) had been sailed across the Atlantic by Ann Davidson back in the 1950's;without s/s without anything except compass and sextant,anyway having sailed said boat I tremble at the idea of running before the trades balancing on the small foredeck fiddling with sheets and guys to rig a downwind rig,In her book the descriptions are not that graphic but It must have been difficult,I personally althoughI have not tried the rig will be trying out a Junk Rig,hopefully this summer ,which by all accounts is the best thing since sliced bread!!!!!

Poignard

Visit site
A couple of years ago an editorial in Yachting World condemned people who take boats in and out of marinas single-handed as irresponsible. [as a result of which I did not renew my subscription]

However, they seem quite happy with heavily sponsored single-handers in purpose built "yachts" racing around the world. Could it be that "money talks" when it comes to getting the support of YW?

Before I get letters from YW's lawyers, I do not imply bribery; just a little too much reverence for corporate money and hype.

Andrew_Bray

Visit site
Twisterowner, I have been Editor of YW for nearly 14 years now and I cannot remember a single occasion when the magazine berated readers for singlehanding in or out of marinas. Can you elucidate? Perhaps it's time to renew your subscription and join the swelling ranks of the enlightened!

FullCircle

Visit site
A not so recent example of Yachting World representative being opposed to single handed sailing.....

OCEANIC SUB-COMMITTEE – 10 November 2002 Item 3.(b)
Page 1 of 3
Single-Handed Sailing
A paper by Alan Green - 15th August 2002
1 At the November 2001 meeting of the ISAF Oceanic Committee I undertook to
make enquiries in the UK to help prepare for ISAF a “solid response” to be delivered
if required to “regulatory bodies” (see Oceanic Minutes 11/01). These considerations
refer to offshore sailing in yachts with accommodation over time periods which
exceed that for which a normal healthy individual can stay awake and alert without
sleep. This period is probably in the region of 18-20 hours.

2 I discussed the question with Mark Turner (Offshore Challenges, manager of Ellen
McArthur and also an accomplished long-distance single-handed sailor), Rod Carr
(Secretary General, Royal Yachting Association), John Lewis (General Secretary,
Royal Western Yacht Club of England, organisers of single-handed transatlantic
events), and Mike Richey (former Secretary General of the Royal Institute of
Navigation, former Secretary of the International Association of Institutes of
Navigation). I obtained papers from a 1978 study of single-handing written by the
following: Cdr LRR Foster of the Royal Western; Colonel HG Hasler who virtually
invented modern single-handed racing; JD Sleightholme former editor of Yachting
Monthly and a sponsor of single-handed racing; Captain AN Cockcroft FRIN, coauthor
of A Guide to Collision Avoidance Rules, and Captain A Wepster, former
Director of Navigation Research at the Netherlands Maritime Institute. I have read the
opinions often expressed in print by the late Bernard Hayman, former Editor of
Yachting World and long-serving member of the UK Governmental Safety of
Navigation Committee. I was allowed to see papers written for a 1998 RYA study by
Rod Carr (then Racing Manager); Ted Osborn of the Cruising Association; Bernard
Bonneau of the Federation Francaise de la Voile; Mark Schrader former participant in
and director of the Around Alone Race; James Boyd, sailor and writer for Yachting
World and the web site Mad for Sailing; and an article published in The Times by Ed
Gorman.
3 With the exceptions of the views of Bernard Hayman and Ted Osborn, all of the
above are in favour of single-handed racing and sailing. The majority could be
distilled into a position statement and rationale for ISAF (not unlike that already
followed by the RYA and the FFV):-
3.1 Draft Position Statement
• ISAF does not have the power to prevent single-handed sailing, however:
• through maintaining close contact with single-handed sailing and
notwithstanding the consideration of single-manning, ISAF will-
• promote the highest standards of safety and efficiency in
equipment, training, and event management, and
• facilitate communications and encourage mutual understanding
between single-handed sailors, organisers and official bodies

Andrew_Bray

Visit site
Three pages new gear, ten pages of equipment tests, two features on Pacific Cruising in ordinary boats, four pages cruising news and comment, great seamanship feature. That's just part of the 98 pages in the latest issue.

Lifestyle? Take another look.

Poignard

Visit site
Unfortunately, I didn't keep the magazine but it was probably 2003 or early 2004 and it was written by a woman. [Which lets you out!] As far as I can recall, she had written that she was sitting with friends in the cockpit of a yacht in a Uk marina when someone single-handing got into difficulties nearby.

Don't know if this helps to pin it down but if I have inadvertently got the magazine name wrong I will, of course, issue an unreserved and abject apology to your organ.

ps here's another clue! the magazine concerned has a regular column by Robin-Knox Johnstone [which made it all the more strange to see such an editorial]