jester challenge 2015

phil m

Visit site
Hi everyone can anyone tell me if there is a 2015 jester challenge and if not why not many thanks Phil

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Next year is the Jester Baltimore Challenge (Plymouth to Baltimore, Ireland), starting Sunday 14th June 2015. I imagine details will go up on the main Jester site soon. 2016 there will be the Jester Azores Challenge (Plymouth to Terceira), then presumably another JBC in 2017. 2018 is the next Jester Challenge (Plymouth to Newport, USA). If you join the Jester Yahoo Group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/jesterchallenge/info full details of the JBC 2015 are posted there.

SteveSarabande

Visit site
I was looking at the start points for this Challenge, Plymouth or Pwhelli. From Cardiff they are similar distances.

What do people think of the differences in the voyages. From N.Wales seems more coastal, but in prevailing SW more into the wind. Plymouth is more offshore miles and Lands End TSS to contend with, but possibly better wind direction.

I haven't entered, just trying to work out hypothetically speaking which one I would go for?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Of course the wind could always be Easterly which is not uncommon. From Cardiff I would assume that Pwhelli would be easier to get to than Plymouth.

From Plymouth in 2013 we beat into the wind, or at least I did, until Lands End and then the wind died completely for about 18 hours off the Scillies and then it was a beat up towards Southern Ireland. I never intended to go into Baltimore as I lacked an Irish Courtesy Flag so turned West about 20 miles short of the SW tip of Ireland.

Roger Fs idea in starting from Pwhelli is to make it easy for those in Wales or the NW to get to a start line. It is very much up to the individual which course they would prefer to sail, as I see it.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Good evening at all!
In Baltimore someone know how are the mooring?
JJ

The usual anchoring area just off the town is shown in the attached chartlet. I understand the local sailing club there will be making arrangements for some 'alongside-the-quay' berthing - but that suggests rafting-up several boats deep.

There is also likely to be quite a large number of Irish yachts there for the festival/parties.

baltimore1.jpg

There are many good anchoring spots in other parts of Baltimore Harbour, such as Church Strand Bay about 800 metres NE of the town. Two others, off the SE side of Sherkin Island and opposite Baltimore town, are shown in the second chartlet....

baltimore2.jpg

The guys who took part in 2013 rode out some strong winds at anchor there, so they should be able to tell you how good/secure is the 'holding ground' off the town.

Don't forget your 'pirate' clothing for the Pirate Party!