Jeanneau V Sea Ray

Chrisher

Visit site
Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I am looking to get back into boating after some years of inactivity. I am looking to buy a small cruiser that will ferry my wife and 2 small kids on days out in comfort and with the ability of towing skiers or some toys as well as the odd night spent aboard. I have narrowed down the search to the Sea Ray 240 sundancer and the Jeanneau leader 805. Can I please have some informed views on which is the better boat, better suited to my intended use and which will handle better choppy conditions. Many thanks

lionelz

Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I have bumped this as the first post can take some time to appear. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will make a comment

Visit site
I am a great fan of the Jeanneau 805 , very nearly bought one last year having owned a fantastic Jeanneau 635 with 150 Suzuki outboard for many years. I went for a Nimbus 26 Nova in the end which I love .
The 805 probably has a bow thruster as standard which is a must at this size of boat.

Chrisher

Visit site
I am a great fan of the Jeanneau 805 , very nearly bought one last year having owned a fantastic Jeanneau 635 with 150 Suzuki outboard for many years. I went for a Nimbus 26 Nova in the end which I love .
The 805 probably has a bow thruster as standard which is a must at this size of boat.

Chrisher

Visit site

Thanks. Both the Sea Ray and Jeanneu I am looking at are single engine but do not have a bow thruster. Did you get to take the Jeanneau for a sea trial ? If so how did you find it ? Thanks

wipe_out

Visit site
You will be OK without a thruster but it is a nice to have, my last boat was 26ft single engine and no thruster.. Just get some hours practising your slow speed manoeuvring and learning how the boat responds and you should be fine.. Most importantly get to know how it is affected by wind when you are trying to manoeuvre in close quarters.. Also always take it very slow, grabbing a hand full of throttle in panic is a recipe for disaster, bumping into something slowly is a much better idea and most times you can throw a fender in the way to save the day..

As for the two brands both would probably be similar in a lot of respects.. Probably more important for you to choose the one you like best.. If it's definitely going to be one of the two then see if you can arrange a sea trial (even if the seller wants you to pay for it) so you can get a feel for your self..

darrenw

Visit site
I have no experience of SeaRay, but upgraded from a Fletcher Speedboat at the beggining of the year to a Jeanneau Leader 705 with single KAD32. We use it in the solent and have spent a few nights onboard and she meets our needs perfectly (just the 2 of us). We don't have a bow thruster and when manoeuvring in a confined space when the wind is up she sometimes won't turn into it (just crabs), so you simply have spin the longer way round. No dramas though. I can post a video of a recent trip out if you're interested.

Chrisher

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments. At the moment I think I'm leaning towards the Jeanneau as I think she might handle the chop better. The sea ray I hear seen is higher specced though and seems to have been better maintained so I guess I have a few sleepless nights ahead ?. Could I fit a water heater to the Jeanneau as she doesn't have one? Thanks

Kawasaki

Visit site
Jeanneau, every time M8
Why?
Here is why
The French one you can get about the boat, ie 'walkaround'
The Yank one you will have to tip toe through the window to get on the foredeck
Pain in the Transome Mate
The thing is, I would go for the slightly smaller 'J' boat with an outboard, stuff inboards with a 'leg' another pain in the 'Transome' need so much regular maintenance
Look at the biggest 'walkaround' vessel that will do with an outboard. That doesn't require 'gymnastics' to get on the sloping (wants to chuck you in the water foredeck) through a window, when you want to anchor or moor up etc
Just some thoughts based on My experiences

alt

Visit site
805, it's a no brainer!

Try to get one with trim tabs, like any boat, in a wind she'll need correction.

In the 25 - 26ft range, 805 is the leader (no pun intended) in the market. Only down-side is the carp canopy.

Spi D

Visit site
Sea Ray vs. Jeanneau is bananas vs. pears.

Go view both and you'll notice differences as they are aimed at completely different customer segments. If you have priorities like "sterndrives, no thank you!" a lotta boats will remove themselves from the equation.

Regardless of make your preferences and requirements should decide. Want windows and ability to sit and watch the life around you in the marina or prefer to down in a cosy cabin for privacy (=small windows)?

Want to sit out in an open cockpit or the option to go indoors, close the door and turn on the heat?
Like to go fast, jumping waves, or slower, in comfort?
Petrol or diesel?
Standing height in cabin?
Pantry?
Toilet?
Shower?

Lots to decide, 'eh?

Last edited:

Ripster

Visit site
I would go for the Leader if its for use over here (UK). Like others have said, the costs are in the engine and leg, so make sure you get a good survey. I sea trialed an 805 a few years back, but went for a bigger FB boat instead for more room. But, the leader was defo the best in class for its size and price at the time. The through windscreen access is a pain on the Sea Ray (also know as the deck bum shuffle). The leader has foredeck access around one side - very useful and far easier.

Chrisher

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. Yes I definitely need to get a survey as the boat I am looking at appears to have suffered from very little use these past few years although I have been told that the engine was taken out a few months ago and fully serviced with manifolds, fuel pump, water pump and alternator replaced. I have also seen advertised a Beneteau Ombrine 800 which has caught my eye. Does anyone know how it compares with the leader 801? Thanks

Spi D

Visit site
Did you get any explanation as to why the engine was taken out? NOT normal procedure for a service so something serious may lie behind.
Jeanneau and Beneteau are owned by Group Beneteau so they'll carefully aim the products at customer segments to avoid canibalism within their own brands. Basically not very different but finish and materials differ, imo.

Chrisher

Visit site
Thanks. I was told that quite a few bits were replaced and access to the engine in the Jeanneau is not brilliant so they just took the engine out. In any event I will need to have a survey and will ask for a complete list of what exactly was done so I hope that will give us a good idea of condition.