Jack stand locations on Beneteau Antares 710 - safety and best practice?

HarryMacI

Visit site
Hi,

Where are the best structurally safe locations to put jack stands on my beneteau Antares 710? Its on a trailer at the minute and needs adjusting weight at tow hitch. This is a first for me and would like to get it right and not introduce any stresses on the hull. The boat is approximately 23 feet, I think coming in a 1/3 of the length from the transom and a 1/3 from the bow, should give good stability and be near engine as this is where much of the load/weight is located. I have cut up a few old scaffolding planks to support center line keel, and will use a trolley jack to raise, I'll have friends at each screw jack to take up the slack.

Any thoughts good practice or safety factors, I should be aware of before I start?

Info appreciated..

Thanks

Harry

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I put my 760 on pallets fore and aft which take most of the weight. The boat stands are jacked up into position but really only stop the boat from moving side to side or falling over.

09D92479-FC6D-4BE4-B229-B71310EE2AA7.jpeg

Bran

Visit site
Best place for the stands is normally where internal bulkheads or bracing are located. You may be able to tap on the underside of the hull and hear where they are located, if not visually Locate them from inside and measure from a reference point.

BruceK

Visit site
Jack stands are for balance not for weight bearing. Have keel rests and then balance the boat on jack stands.

yeah, as per Jamie.

Portofino

Visit site
Best place for the stands is normally where internal bulkheads or bracing are located. You may be able to tap on the underside of the hull and hear where they are located, if not visually Locate them from inside and measure from a reference point.
That’s how the professional guys who lift boat do it .
They line up the keel blocks say 5 and hang it in the slings over .
Then dismount from the machine crawl under tapping the hull and adjusting the weight bearing blocks fwd / aft position .
You get a thud where it’s more solid ie a bulk head or what ever .

The legs at the sides are just for balance put in after it’s lowered on the central positioned blocks .

HarryMacI

Visit site
Thanks folks, I do see the small triangular sticks on mine for lifting now! so will be putting supports here, nearly identical to those in above photo. I'll be gingerly jacking up and packing on center line and adjusting support legs as necessary!

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I agree, beware of pallets as they are not meant for that type of loading. they are made of thin wood that is the softest and cheapest they can find to keep the cost down. They rot and decay really quickly too. Certainly chop up a sleeper but equally, and less creosotey, ( if that is a word) go to a farm supply store - Wynstay, Mole Valley, Midland Shires or wherever, and get a 6inch or 8 inch square pressure treated gatepost and chop it down to handy lengths