Jabsco accumulator pump

Shroppiegrand

Visit site
Hello world. Try try again to speak to a human at Jabsco you can't.
I have a model 12573-3000 which I would like to know if it is possible to re-pressurise.
Can anyone please advise.
Thanks

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Welcome to the forums.

IIRC that accumulator (like most of them) can be re-pressurised. There should be a Schrader Valve under the cap on the top. Use a bike pump or car pump to pump it up to the correct pressure.

However, you might question why it’s lost pressure? Has the bladder inside split? It’ll cost nothing to pump it up and see what happens but worth monitoring once it’s been re-pressurised.

Plum

Visit site
Hello world. Try try again to speak to a human at Jabsco you can't.
I have a model 12573-3000 which I would like to know if it is possible to re-pressurise.
Can anyone please advise.
Thanks
No. I believe that model does not have a valve or a bladded and works by trapping a cushion of air above the water (assuming it is mounted vertically) Over time, some of that air is lost but can be replaced very easily. See instructions here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw38iq_W0lFi9ETCCgiRa8at

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
No. I believe that model does not have a valve or a bladded and works by trapping a cushion of air above the water (assuming it is mounted vertically) Over time, some of that air is lost but can be replaced very easily. See instructions here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw38iq_W0lFi9ETCCgiRa8at
I sit corrected. It appears you just depressurise and then allow atmospheric pressure back into the area above the bladder/diaphragm. I did do a quick check via Google and one picture I found had a Shrader Valve but it must have been the model that superseded the OP’s one.

Hoolie

Visit site
I had one of those without a diaphragm and it was bleeding useless! It was a real pain as it needed draining every few weeks. I replaced the old pump which had a fractured casing for one that has a proportional speed motor and no need for an accumulator. Huge improvement and the pump is much quieter.

Shroppiegrand

Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

IIRC that accumulator (like most of them) can be re-pressurised. There should be a Schrader Valve under the cap on the top. Use a bike pump or car pump to pump it up to the correct pressure.

However, you might question why it’s lost pressure? Has the bladder inside split? It’ll cost nothing to pump it up and see what happens but worth monitoring once it’s been re-pressurised.
Many thanks for your advice.
What I discovered was the type of accumulator I have fitted was a top turn nut which having done the necessary undone and re tightened.
Now the pump switches off as soon as you shut a tap.
I guess experience tells you if the pump runs on after turning a tap off then the system needs resetting.

Shroppiegrand

Visit site

Boater Sam

Visit site
Now the pump switches off as soon as you shut a tap.
I guess experience tells you if the pump runs on after turning a tap off then the system needs resetting.
Er, no, it should run on a bit after you turn off the tap and it should turn on a bit after you open the tap else it is not working at all. It is not pressurised at all if what you say is happening.

Hoolie

Visit site
Exactly so. I think what Boater Sam is saying is your accumulator does not have any air in it at all so it's not working and needs to be drained.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
These old Jabsco accumulators which don't have a diaphragm need regular emptying, which is a pain in the rear end. The trapped air dissolves into the water and gets flushed away with every use and you end up with no air in it. I had been meaning to replace mine for years until last year when it froze solid during the winter and cracked. That made up my mind for me.

johnalison

Visit site
These old Jabsco accumulators which don't have a diaphragm need regular emptying, which is a pain in the rear end. The trapped air dissolves into the water and gets flushed away with every use and you end up with no air in it. I had been meaning to replace mine for years until last year when it froze solid during the winter and cracked. That made up my mind for me.
I have had both versions of Jabsco tanks. In some ways the one without a diaphragm was easier, but the screw plug was very tight and the casing split, so I replaced it with a diaphragm one. So far as I know, both versions are empty when I drain the system off for the winter, which is a routing to protect especially the pump.