Is this very expensive for a mooring strop? (£600)

Crinan12

Visit site
Hi. Does this seem very expensive for a replacement mooring strop - £500 plus vat? The labour was £315 and that materials £178.

It's the 2nd one I've had to get done in 5 years. The latest one was twice the price of the 1st one i had done.

This was what was done :

'Replace 6M multiplait 24mm
strop, bow shackle,mousing
and 6 cable ties. Replace A4
buoy rope and 2 cable ties.'

It just seems a lot, even though i know boatyards aren't cheap.

Thanks

Attachments

• Resizer_16845878897951.jpeg
    Resizer_16845878897951.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 82

Crinan12

Visit site
Yeah but jimmy green don't fit it for you! Most of the charge is labour. Maybe it's not too bad then. Just got a bit of a shock!!
Those costs didn't include the mooring check either - that was another 150 odd quid.

Nice start to the season 😂

ash2020

Visit site
I would usually take a 3' crowbar and 3' stillson and put my own shackle on when I put the boat on the mooring. At least I know it's done properly then! Mooring was generally about the same price in Scotland.

Refueler

Visit site
Few quid on a good Splicing Book .... ??

Forgive me for saying this - but I am amazed at what some people will have done and pay for ...........

Must say the best I saw .... bunch of Race boats tied up alongside ... I was one of the Organisers for the overnight berthing ready for next leg next day.
Walking along the quay - I noted a guy head in transom area ... Guy standing on dock watching ... I casually asked him if any problem ...
No No ... managed to get someone to do the job ....
Oh - what job that ?
Pin came out of tiller to rudder stock.
OK ... and the guys made a new pin ... fitting it ?
Oh No - just need to put old pin back in and then secure with clip.

Took guy about 5 mins to just put pin through two matching holes and put a clip through ........

200 euros.

Guy paid.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Few quid on a good Splicing Book .... ??

Forgive me for saying this - but I am amazed at what some people will have done and pay for ...........

Must say the best I saw .... bunch of Race boats tied up alongside ... I was one of the Organisers for the overnight berthing ready for next leg next day.
Walking along the quay - I noted a guy head in transom area ... Guy standing on dock watching ... I casually asked him if any problem ...
No No ... managed to get someone to do the job ....
Oh - what job that ?
Pin came out of tiller to rudder stock.
OK ... and the guys made a new pin ... fitting it ?
Oh No - just need to put old pin back in and then secure with clip.

Took guy about 5 mins to just put pin through two matching holes and put a clip through ........

200 euros.

Guy paid.
My very good friend was the technical guru at a big marina in Greece. A large proportion of his work was bending on sails and taking them off at end of season. Amazed me and him.

Refueler

Visit site
Something I'm interested in learning. Any recommendations?

I learnt to splice many years ago as a young lad from my Fathers Admiralty Manuals of Seamanship ... and cont'd when at sea as Deck Officer ....

As to recc'd ? I still have my "The Efficient Deck Hand" by C. H. Wright ...

But that has a lot of other info filling most of the book that has little to do with yachting ... as its the 'bible' for ships Deck Crew / Officers. But its Splicing section covers just about most forms found ...

For a book that is not Splicing - but covers Knots Bends and Hitches ... years ago - I picked up a copy of : "The Knot Book" by Geoffrey Budworth. ISBN : 0-7160-0704-5 ...

Kelpie

Visit site
Oh I wish that was true, been splicing ropes for years but Octopliat defeated me.
I don't do octo often enough to do it from memory. Have to have the book (actually I think it's the Samson ropes pdf) in front of me.

Three stand, on the other hand... when I was fish farming we had to churn these out by the thousand. I remember seeing that Jimmy Green were charging £3 a splice; at that rate we could have been making about £1k a day each...

penfold

Visit site
I don't do octo often enough to do it from memory. Have to have the book (actually I think it's the Samson ropes pdf) in front of me.
I wouldn't want to give the impression I'm some kind of splicing god, that's what I'd be doing; splicing it with the book in front of me. I find splicing nice new rope quite relaxing.

doug748

Visit site
God. Could have saved a lot of money by buying a strop and doing it myself. Had no idea it would cost so much getting the boatyard to do it.

It's a hard lesson. I will get nothing done without a firm price now.

Once I told an agent to get a garden bush trimmed - thought it would save me turning out and it might be £50 - 100 max. Got a fancy bill for cutting it removing waste wood and clearing the site, etc, etc, etc. £500 bloody quid. Never again. Thing was only a bit of privet.