Is this very expensive for a mooring strop? (£600)

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm surprised everybody is fitting 24mm strops. I used the biggest that would fit the roller, which for me was 32mm.

Of course this was an uninsured boat on a mooring in NW Scotland so I was happy to pay a tiny bit extra for the fattest strop that would fit.

Aja

Visit site
Yes purchasing the mooring strop and attaching it to the riser chain. The boatyard here tend to maintain the moorings, but they are privately owned so there is nothing to stop owners doing it themselves. I wish i had. Although it might have been a bit tricky for me because the strop doesn't just attach to the top of the bouy like some do - mine is an inflatable bouy and the strop is tied to it underneath and then shackles to the chain underwater so i would have needed to haul it up somehow.

Bit of an assumption here, but if the boatyard also services your mooring they may condemn anything you add yourself as they don't know it's history.

Macka1706

Visit site
Nothing to do with splicing or ropes but just noticed the ex crane/dragline operator comment, I remember many years ago I would have been about 10yrs old, when Ransoms in Ipswich had an open day which I was lucky to go to, and in pride of place was a massive Ransom 'Walking Dragline'.
Yea. I started on a RB10 Ruston in UK ARMY (REME.).in late '50's.
then 22. 30 .140. up to the 2000 ton walkers. (never operated a Ransom) But Priestman. Marions (the biggest) Link Belt 348.
Buchyrus. and several others. But those Walkers were too boring for me. Slow. You could smake a fag waiting for drag rope to come in. Coupla Priestman Bucket wheels. . Again Boooooting. looking at same dirt face all day.
MY Fav's were the Yankee Link Belts. Only up to 500ton but fast and slippy clutches. smooth as.
I "retired" from Full time work in 1990/92ish?. Cash only, part time after that till I was 7 2. 3 or 4 months a year,
Now 81 and broke. chuckle. Nearly all gone. and had a GRRRRREAT life. Last 11 yrs till Covid. 3 months every yr overseas.
Coupla 3 more cruise ship trips will see us out of our travelling days I reckon. Then Rowing Machine. Exercise bike and Foxtel movies on 55in box. Enjoy your life. I did mate. EX Georgie (a looong time ago)

Last edited: