Is there any money in boating as a career?

benjenbav

Visit site
I woke up and smelt the coffee 11 years ago, tired of being thrashed by IBM i jacked it in and moved to Spain, no job but no big expenses..

Looked at my skills and having been boating for 20+ years decided to do something with boats. Started a charter \ management company. It was successful but more lifestyle business. Spanish tax authorities trashed business opportunity so sold it.

Im now a skipper for a private yacht, work my nuts of June, July, August and a bit of September but the rest of the year pretty reasonable. Great boss, now ordered sailing yacht to travel further afield...

In short I dont make anywhere what I used to, but I go to work every day happy and content. I have put two kids through private education, we go on holiday etc etc so more than happy with my work life balance....

Doing your hobby as a job can take fun away but hasnt with me.

Lozzer - Just curious - no need to answer if it's awkward - but are your own holidays restricted to when the boat is not going anywhere or do you draft in a substitute skipper?

Lozzer

Visit site
Benjenbav

I am not allowed to take holiday between 1st June and 30th September so we have to work around that, usually take a skiing holiday or scuba diving holiday xmas time. Then another weeks skiing end of February.

My boss wouldnt entertain a replacement skipper, he would rather not use the boat. I get people to check boat whilst away and clean but thats as far as it goes.

There is a market for relief skippers but usually on the higher end yachts I would say 35-50m. Then those boys are on to nice packages but given they are running yachts with a reasonable budget so they should be as it is like a SME

Garold

Visit site
Benjenbav

I am not allowed to take holiday between 1st June and 30th September so we have to work around that, usually take a skiing holiday or scuba diving holiday xmas time. Then another weeks skiing end of February.

My boss wouldnt entertain a replacement skipper, he would rather not use the boat. I get people to check boat whilst away and clean but thats as far as it goes.

There is a market for relief skippers but usually on the higher end yachts I would say 35-50m. Then those boys are on to nice packages but given they are running yachts with a reasonable budget so they should be as it is like a SME

Just out of interest.. what's a 'nice package'

benjenbav

Visit site
Benjenbav

Sounds like running any SME. If YOU aren't there you worry that it's all going to the dogs!

Lozzer

Visit site
Garold

You are looking at about 10k per month all found. So no expenses whilst at work, this will probably be working outside EU for majority of time so now you are looking at minimal tax. Ok its not what you might earn selling in a good job but you are not commuting around M25 or into London blah de blah.

Getting off the UK gravy train was the best decision I ever made in my working career.

Garold

Visit site
Garold

You are looking at about 10k per month all found. So no expenses whilst at work, this will probably be working outside EU for majority of time so now you are looking at minimal tax. Ok its not what you might earn selling in a good job but you are not commuting around M25 or into London blah de blah.

Getting off the UK gravy train was the best decision I ever made in my working career.

Working right now at my desk in NW London, and having travelled here past the traffic stricken M25 this morning, I think that you made a smart decision, and maybe I have made a few wrong ones!

Thanks for the link Cheery.

Garold