Is there a modern equivalant to the Nicholson 32

BurnitBlue

Visit site
But what was it about the 346 that was so shocking?

With a suitable owner they are probably a great boat. BUT. I distrust bolt on keels. The ridiculous babystay stops me carrying my rigid dinghy on the foredeck. Centre cockpit with large wheel which makes it IMPOSSIBLE for a single hander (me) to steer and access the sheet winches. The emergency tiller has to be operated while inside the aft cabin with no view outside. The ridiculous small (read tiny) chain locker with the hawse pipe directly over the forward bunk cushion. I have not yet found what holds the deck stepped mast to its tabernacle. It is the wrong size for me as I bang my head everywhere. The cockpit floor (access to engine) has to be glued to the cockpit by Moody. The enormous saloon table seats eight and naturally blocks quick access to the starboard settee even when folded. The cockpit has only one locker. It is enormous and is a nightmare to get anything out of it without emptying contents onto the cockpit floor. The gas locker drains into the cockpit. The cockpit drain cocks are underwater, a floating bomb. The engine exhaust exits underwater also so it is impossible to see if cooling water is flowing through. These are just some of the irritations but not all . Maybe faults small in themselves but they add up to hate.

Basically this boat set the benchmark for "Floating Caravan"

You know I enjoyed that rant. Should have done it earlier.

Thanks for reading.

doug748

Visit site
Mission creep is the bane of all "what shall I buy threads"

Within the first page someone always knows for sure that you, In some fundamental way, want the wrong thing and then it is a short step to:

"much better boats"

Which is the forum shorthand for - a boat like mine.

Best to look on the bright side, the Moody is a capable size and has a lot of comfy living space. I like them, the layout is handy. A bloke I know just sold his and it didn't hang around so, when the time comes, you should move it on ok.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Best to look on the bright side, the Moody is a capable size and has a lot of comfy living space. I like them, the layout is handy. A bloke I know just sold his and it didn't hang around so, when the time comes, you should move it on ok.

Good advice again thanks.

Since I bought her I have replaced the diesel tank. Changed all the Keel bolts. Replaced the engine with a new yanmar. Modified the anchor chain Windlass problem etc etc etc.

So I am slowly changing the boat to align with my own ideas. Nothing drastic.

The Moody will never be a Nicholson 32 or modern alternative but I reckon I can live with the compromises. For now.

Edit PS. I don't have much choice really. Commissioning a boat to ones own needs takes a lot of time which is mostly wasted if the original reason was to go sailing.

Last edited:

Birdseye

Visit site
I will probably end up buying a Nicholson 32 because I cannot find a modern equivalent.

You wont find one. Design has moved on since those days. What you are asking for is the marine equivalent of the Morris Oxford - good in its day but now well our of date

Matelot Joe

Visit site
You wont find one. Design has moved on since those days. What you are asking for is the marine equivalent of the Morris Oxford - good in its day but now well our of date

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say, or is it aesthetics, a more acute eye for what is right and what is not. Not following a fad or fashion of what is new and therefore better. NOT !
The morris Oxford is still here as is the Nicholson yacht and other like it.

Birdseye

Visit site
The car analogy is a useful one. A Morris Oxford is a better car for practical use than a model T but less useful than a modern Focus. Without going into the realms of exotics like Porsche and race boats.

The Nic 32 is of the same era as your Tradewind in design terms and is, IMO of course, the marine Morris Oxford. Perfectly good boat, just outdated