Is there a modern equivalant to the Nicholson 32

Matelot Joe

Visit site
The car analogy is a useful one. A Morris Oxford is a better car for practical use than a model T but less useful than a modern Focus. Without going into the realms of exotics like Porsche and race boats.

The Nic 32 is of the same era as your Tradewind in design terms and is, IMO of course, the marine Morris Oxford. Perfectly good boat, just outdated

Time will only tell on that opinion, but I know what my money is on in the long run and who's going to be around, compared to the AWB.
To each his own. ;-)

robmcg

Visit site
The car analogy is a useful one. A Morris Oxford is a better car for practical use than a model T but less useful than a modern Focus. Without going into the realms of exotics like Porsche and race boats.

The Nic 32 is of the same era as your Tradewind in design terms and is, IMO of course, the marine Morris Oxford. Perfectly good boat, just outdated

I know what you mean about car analogies, but where on earth did the Morris Oxford come from? :)

benbc

Visit site
I'm surprised that Victoria 34s don't come up more often in these discussions. Is there something horrid about them that I should know about?

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
More like marine equivalent of Rover 2000; the Morris Oxford is more a 1960's Westerley INMHO.

Nah! More like a Rover 90. Not fast but once you get it going.......

MJ.....
Miles last year?..... not so many as hoped. Not got the log but around 1700nm as far as I can recollect. Mostly between Portsmouth, Hon Fleur and Dartmouth

About the same the year before, and around 3700 in 2012 when we took her up to Scotland and back.

The plan was to have taken her to Greece last year but that's now on the plan for this summer.....Portsmouth, Dartmouth, (we

like Dartmouth), La Caruna and beyond. ;)

S.

Last edited:

robmcg

Visit site
My automotive analogy for the TW33/5 would be the Range Rover Classic. Capable, can go anywhere, can carry a load of stuff without affecting performance adversely, can do everything a modern 4x4 can do, albeit wrapped up in a more traditional body style. Not the easiest to park around town. Reassuringly heavy. :eek:

Pleiades

Visit site
DSC_7086.jpg
This is one of those quirky old fashioned boats, quite similar to a Nic 32 - "good in their day but now out of date."
Maybe some sailors still like them because many MODERN boats can float stable upside down and their keels and rudders can and do fall off. Call them old fashioned but what was a good sea boat thirty or more years ago most probably still is a good sea boat today and we sort of like that.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
My automotive analogy for the TW33/5 would be the Range Rover Classic. Capable, can go anywhere, can carry a load of stuff without affecting performance adversely, can do everything a modern 4x4 can do, albeit wrapped up in a more traditional body style. Not the easiest to park around town. Reassuringly heavy. :eek:

Oh all right then..... I agree. :)

S.

Triassic

Visit site
Mines a b**ch in reverse!

I can sail backwards faster than some of these old fashioned monohull things can sail forwards.....:)

This was a brilliant thread, I was so captivated I hadn't even realised it was five years old until I got to page 9...... Just as someone said that old seaworthy yachts don't suddenly cease to be so because a newer design comes along then five year old advice is still just as valuable now as it was then. The right boat is what is right for you, taking into account what you want to do with it and what you want out of it.

I have an F27 trimaran because it is the most exciting and involving sailing that you can get and still be able to eat and sleep on in relative comfort. I don't want to cross oceans, and it's not the sort of boat you can hide below on in a blow as it requires constant sailing to keep it safe, but on the other hand with modern electronics and my performance I've yet to sail into anything I didn't want to..... I can also get her from my home near Dover to the Solent in less than three hours even into a stiff westerly......:cool: I don't think there are bad boats, only bad sailors..........

Babylon

Visit site
View attachment 49158
This is one of those quirky old fashioned boats, quite similar to a Nic 32 - "good in their day but now out of date."
Maybe some sailors still like them because many MODERN boats can float stable upside down and their keels and rudders can and do fall off. Call them old fashioned but what was a good sea boat thirty or more years ago most probably still is a good sea boat today and we sort of like that.

Nah! That's rubbish! You can't stuff enough people into it to justify a week's charter or a weekend sailor's boozy party tied up in a marina. ;)

Birdseye

Visit site
I know what you mean about car analogies, but where on earth did the Morris Oxford come from? :)

Wasnt it Cowley?

Never understand what is and what is not an AWB. A wooden boat pal of mine would undoubtedly lump both the Nic and the Tradewind as AWBs being made from "frozen snot". Others might think AWBs are benjenbavhans plus maybe catalina and those Polish things.

What do you reckon?

I was fascinated by the OPs comment about the Moody 346. I made a similar error in buying a Moody 336 bilge and there was no doubt that some of its worst characteristics came from the SWMBO caravan requirement. A cockpit that was more shallow than an Essex chav for example. That said it sailed well. I just didnt gel with it.

Whats the hang up about deck stepped masts? Much better in engineering terms - if the mast goes you dont automatically have a damaged and holed deck for a start. Vertical transmission of load is just the same. I can see no reason why it isnt every bit as secure if not more so since there is no bending moment at deck level.

eddystone

Visit site
Wasnt it Cowley?

Whats the hang up about deck stepped masts? Much better in engineering terms - if the mast goes you dont automatically have a damaged and holed deck for a start. Vertical transmission of load is just the same. I can see no reason why it isnt every bit as secure if not more so since there is no bending moment at deck level.

Could ask the same about bolt on keels, provided they are properly engineered. (and it appears some are not)

Robin

Visit site
Could ask the same about bolt on keels, provided they are properly engineered. (and it appears some are not)

Beats a rusting mass of old washers & random scrap metal set in a hollow in a longkeeler's hull moulding. I remember one such boat in a boatyard in Poole being drained of its red rusty entrapped water in the keel area so the hapless new owner could then try and make some kind of acceptable repair.:nonchalance:

By contrast I remember two friends, one with a Liz 30 like wot I had back then trying to remove the bolt on keel to reuse on a new moulding ( he was building from a bare hull and had severe fire damage to hull number one during build). It took several big guys with sledge hammers and big steel wedges to separate that keel from hull. The other was a somewhat similar task on a W33, also like wot I had at that time where IIRC there was a flange on the cast Iron keel that sort of jig-sawed into the hull, bolts all removed, keel stayed resolutely put.

Ain't no such thing as perfect!!