Is there a decent website which has equivalent 12v for LED bulbs?

FullCircle

Visit site
Dont want to pay chandlery prices, but I want to replace:-

Halogen bulbs in headlining light units and cabin reading lights
10w bulkhead lamp single filament bulbs

Navigation bulbs, stern + steaming lights 25w single, bow bi colour and masthead tricolour

I want to access the latest 'warm' colour bulbs, not the older generation cold blue light.

Either a website or a knowledgable supplier.
Any ideas?

Cheers.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Re: Is there a decent website which shows equivalent 12v bulbs?

12v Halogen bulbs, 10w and 20w are cheapest at IKEA - not sure if they are 'warm' bulbs though!! For nav bulbs, 12v x 10w & 25w try Alampco.com They are a good price.

VicS

Visit site
Ultraleds.co.uk Doctorled.com and I noticed an ad had not seen before in the April PBO. Searolf.com

impact30

Visit site
Jim
I have a quantity of 2.3w, 38 LED, mr16 warm white bulbs. I got a box of 100 of them for my own boat and am really pleased with them. I had some cold ones previously. I have 60 left and will part with them for £5 ea + postage to any forumite who is interested.
PM me if you are interested.

NFCN

Visit site
I replaced my interior 12v LEDs with car ones bought on EBay - several different types. Much, much cheaper than in the chandlers.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
At the NEC outdoor show CAK were doing side mount and base mount LED replacements for halon spots for £10 each. They seem to have a good range and their price was almost half that of the swindleries also exhibiting there.

I have very poor experience of Ultraleds, six purchased, six failed, no response to my queries.

Vamoose

www.flickr.com
Jim

I bought from www.Leisurepower.co.uk one of these just last week for my saloon to replace a 12W lamp..

Uses just 2W and throws out bundles of light.. They do both warm & spots. I am very pleased and going to get another. Cost £20

MR16-G53-SPOT Switched LED Lamp

whipper_snapper

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have very poor experience of Ultraleds, six purchased, six failed, no response to my queries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fitted Ultraleds 'festoon' white to the sternlight and red and green to sidelights. They are very bright and consumption is very low. They don't sit firmly and need to be rotated to point in roughly the right direction (I may try a blob of sikaflex to hold them in place!)

But they have run without problems, so far been in use for only around 24hrs total. I hope that since our system voltage never exceeds 13.7V, they should survive better than for most people with alternators putting out >14V. They seemed cheap enough to give them a try.

hairbox

Visit site
I also had dodgy leds from Mr Ultraleds a while ago now, also bulbs failed ie 3 leds failed in each unit Mr Ultraleds would not change said it was my fault he was also very rude caled me an unmetionable name what happened to customer service ?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
<<< our system voltage never exceeds 13.7V, they should survive better than for most people with alternators putting out >14V. >>>

Ours were all festoon bulbs in fittings in galley, heads and forecabin. Not one of them was ever turned on while the engine was running, rarely when mains battery charger was on. A couple of them did less than 10 hours and the longest did about 50.

whipper_snapper

Visit site
I wish I had known that before ! I had got the impression from here that they had QC problems in the past but were now better.

Will report back on developments!

RichardTaylor

Visit site
I recently bought from Ace Parts http://www.aceparts.com/ for my car.

When they arrived one was the wrong fitment, a quick phone call resulted in humble apologies and a replacement within 48 hours.

Far more solid units than those I have bought from UltraLEDs (many of which have failed within 6 months or so)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I bought 4 x festoons (warm White) last year. They have done a full season without problems, but have not been on when the engine is running. Mind you, they have not been used much, as SWMBO says their light is horrid. They are bright, but I can't stand reading with them! I won't be bying anymore for interior lighting. However they seem to me to be excellent for Nav lights.

I went out and bought 2 oil lamps - wonderfull!!!!

Seven Spades

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I bought 4 x festoons (warm White) last year. They have done a full season without problems, but have not been on when the engine is running. Mind you, they have not been used much, as SWMBO says their light is horrid. They are bright, but I can't stand reading with them! I won't be bying anymore for interior lighting. However they seem to me to be excellent for Nav lights.

I went out and bought 2 oil lamps - wonderfull!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with LEDs is their poor colour rendering. The led market is dominated by unbranded product and for these companies brightness is more important than quality of light. Philips and Osram product has a much better colour accuracy but have been slower to the market because they did not want to sell, what they perceived to be unusable products and in the early days there was a big trade off between colour rendering and light output. Things are changing and you will see more products from house hold names as a result.

FullCircle

Visit site
Thanks all for the answers so far.
I would be really interested in a poll of LED service life expectancy.

I will set one up later.

Keep the suppliers recommendations (and avoiders) coming in