Is the Monitor the best of the windvanes

Delfin

Visit site
Inboard or outboard rudder? If the former, it may not be the best, but it certainly is on a lot of boats. I think that might be the balance of cost and function, although if cost is not an issue, I think the hydrovane is better. If the latter, then for my money and experience sailing to Hawaii and back, a trim tab mounted on the aft of an outboard rudder controlled by an Autohelm windvane is unbeatable. Simple and strong.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
I think the hydrovane is better. a trim tab mounted on the aft of an outboard rudder controlled by an Autohelm windvane is unbeatable. Simple and strong.

what happens if you have a trim tab and the main rudder fails?
p.s. you are looking at £4K for a hydrovane as of todays date 30/3/11

www.sailingscotty.com

Last edited:

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Although there are many windvanes on the market, is the Monitor considered the best overall or is it too big for anything less than a 28 footer?www.sailingscotty.com

Yes perhaps a Monitor is too big for small boats. I'm a fan of Pacific Light for smaller boats. Nice and light and works really well and whilst all windvane self-steering systems are expensive, its not as expensive as some.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Yes perhaps a Monitor is too big for small boats. I'm a fan of Pacific Light for smaller boats. Nice and light and works really well and whilst all windvane self-steering systems are expensive, its not as expensive as some.

Just because a wind vane steering system is of lighter construction, is there any reason it wouldn't work on a larger boat if the boat were well balanced and the forces on the tiller are not extreme?
I suppose the stern/transom could be too far out of the water for the strength of the arm that supports the blade in the water?

Last edited:

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
"Best" or "Better" are difficult to quantify, the Monitor is certainly popular, robust and works very well however I opted for a WindPilot Pacific that works just as well, is robustly and cleverly engineered but significantly lighter. I also think it is easier to remove/replace than the monitor if you are not using it for a period of time. On a 28' boat you could probably use the Pacific-light model that is cheaper and even lighter in weight.

I did a 640 mile passage last year and helmed for maybe 2 hours. Off to the Azores (and back) this year and don't expect to hold the stick much at all.

If you email Peter at Windpilot he often has refurbished units available for significant savings on a new unit.

Poignard

Visit site
I have a Monitor on a 28-foot boat. I was worried that the weight of it (56lb) right aft might be a problem, especially as I have a hefty BUKH engine, but it has caused no noticeable ill-effects.

The reason I bought a Monitor is because it is a pendulum servo type and has no aluminium in it.

It only needs four 5/16" bolts taking out to remove it but I don't know where I would put it if I did.

Signed Out

Visit site
There's a CO26 near me with what appears to be a Monitor and it doesn't look out of proportion, but I've not spoken to the owner or seen it sail.

Again with the looks of things, the Windpilot appears vulnerable and oddly designed. A little bit Heath-Robinson to me (almost like a wind-up key on the back of a child's clockwork boat). Don't like the idea of a pair of curved castings. Monitor has that gas-pipe, can be fixed by a farmer thing about it (that I like).

FullCircle

Visit site
Cynical flouting of the sales rules here, just like you did with your tub. You have no interest in the Monitor performance other than to sell th eunit you already own.

You ought to have shame, but appear to have none. Place your paid advert in the correct manner and declare your actual interest.

NIGHTINGALE

Visit site
Hi guys i ended up buying a Fleming made here in Australia they have been used for countless circumnavigations 4 Dutch boats pulled up near my boat last week all had the Pacific gear on the back and all of them had had issues with them one had lost the rudder off his it just fell out it happened twice to him he ended up doing a custom job on it,it now has be rectified since then so the new ones shouldn't do it but he still had to pay for the repairs Peter didn't fix it, and the others had probs with corrosion, except for the corrosion they were all happy with how they worked