Is it worth keeping old halyards?

Neeves

Visit site
Strip off the old cover, the core will be almost perfect and make a new washing line. The covers are useful as tie downs on roof racks, new lines for fenders, sail ties. If the halyards were dyneema the core will be perfect, (is this me saying this :) ?) soft shackles, strops to secure the anchor to the bow roller. barber hauls Look at You Tube, make a door mat, or three! :)

The uses of old ropes are simply limited by your imagination. If you bin them they will last decades, maybe hundreds of years in landfill. - don't even think of binning them. :)

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
Strip off the old cover, the core will be almost perfect and make a new washing line. The covers are useful as tie downs on roof racks, new lines for fenders, sail ties. If the halyards were dyneema the core will be perfect, (is this me saying this :) ?) soft shackles, strops to secure the anchor to the bow roller. barber hauls Look at You Tube, make a door mat, or three! :)

The uses of old ropes are simply limited by your imagination. If you bin them they will last decades, maybe hundreds of years in landfill. - don't even think of binning them. :)

Jonathan

WOW ... that's definitely an agreed stance for us both !!

A rope has to be really bad - for there not to be a use for it ... not all uses require strength.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I replace my good halyards with old, tatty ones when Sheolin’s laid up for the winter. Same goes for reefing lines and topping lifts. Main and mizzen sheets are replaced with short lengths of old top as well. It’s a morning well spent to extend the life of lines.

Old rope is good for garden swings, for teaching the grandkids knots and securing trailer loads.

Refueler

Visit site
I replace my good halyards with old, tatty ones when Sheolin’s laid up for the winter. Same goes for reefing lines and topping lifts. Main and mizzen sheets are replaced with short lengths of old top as well. It’s a morning well spent to extend the life of lines.

Old rope is good for garden swings, for teaching the grandkids knots and securing trailer loads.

I use awful garden grade shiny 3 strand polyprop line about 4mm as my reeving lines in mast when I remove halyards ...

I have a 200m reel of it !

Refueler

Visit site
That will be someone like me then 🤭

Its like the 12v Lead Acid battery ... I cannot resist a go at it !!

When I bought the latest boat - we stopped in Nynashamn marina to top up fuel and have a shore washroom visit before the run across Baltic ... Sasha noted a plastic toolbox jutting out of the bin by side of the services ....
Its missing the inner top tray ... but its now gracing the locker on board with a set of tools ....

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
The cover portion that has been inside the mast will be like new. Good for covering Dyneema, smaller chafe guards, and many splicing projects (splices like Amsteel single braid).

My daughter's German shepherd gets many as pull-toys. You can have some good fun with a big dog and a longish bit of fat rope.

Other bits brace up tree limbs and bundle up debris.

I've braided rugs (large, flat wall knot). Rope boarding ladders.

William_H

Visit site
One other possible use for old rope. Make a fender out of it. Fairly thin but easily stored. Fold the rope in half. Makes a loop to hold the fender then just tie a reef knot from the 2 ends just below the loop. The another reef knot and another until you get to the end. The bulk of the reef knots provides the bulk of the fender.
You can lay another section of rope next to the first and share the reef knots from one to the other to make a fender mat. As wide as you have rope and need.
Or look up macrame for fancy knotting arrangements.
ol'will