Is it ok to take the kids out of school?

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Ours are not strictly out of school as they are pre school, but we are cruising the Caribbean after two years in the Med with them. It is fantastic. At four our oldest can do simple addition and subtraction, knows his ABC, days of the week and is starting to tell the time. He can write his name and read simple words like Mummy and Daddy. He also understands the relationship between the sun and the earth, knows how rain clouds form, is aware the earth is made up of land and "the big sea", has watched turtles and dolphins up close and has a smattering of Dutch, Spanish and French. (Just odd words). And of course they swim like (and with) fishes. Any doubts we had have gone completely out the window.

The one on one with them as parents is priceless and we have discovered that boat kid boats are like magnets. The other day we had a party with 16 kids on the beach, from all over the world ranging from 6mtns to 13. We have agreed to cruise in company with several of the boats so they are constantly playing with other kids. They all have formal "School" with parents taking it in turns to be teacher. (They have to address the teacher as Mr or Mrs.... just like real school). Today we had a great field trip, climbing a volcanic cliff path where they all learnt about Iron and minerals in the rocks and they could actually touch what they were being taught. A few weeks ago they visited an Indian tribe and watched chocolate being made. They watch no violent TV and don't play violent computer games. It's a lovely childhood.

update:

Since I wrote the above we have come back from our trip and put the kids in school. They have fitted in a treat with no problems and the eldest won the form prize for outstanding achievement. :)

mike_bryon

Visit site
We’ve employed a professional tutor while cruising on two occasions. Last time we offered 100 Euros a week, food and board and a bonus of 1,000 Euros if they completed the passages/assignment (i.e. didn’t get off early). We received over 200 applicants.
On both occasions the tutors have been fantastic and the kids loved it. Being able to offer them their own cabin is important.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
With so much publicity recently about parents being prosecuted for taking kids out of school during term time, I am wondering if there are families out there who are held back in their desire to take the 'trip of a lifetime' through fears or concerns about kids' education?

Could the solution be to take a tutor?

Hi, We have taken our kids out of school during term time several times in the past. Every time we discused with both the year teachers and the head teacher beforehand what we planned. As we were able to convince them that there was an educational opportunity in these trips and that the kids would keep a diary and photo book of where and what they did it was OK. Sadly none were sailing trips but our boys have travelled most of Europe and a fair bit of the USA during those trips. Do it-its very worthwhile. Our boys have a very rounded view of other cultures due to their experiences with us on our travels. The older one said as we were planning a trip once "Oh no- not another one of dads trips-see the world and eat it!"

masharry

www.28feetafloat.com
We home educated at home in the Uk all through primary and when our children entered secondary they were did really well, no academic problems at all, just a few questions about the way the "system" operates, lack of respect from teachers etc. So would say home education works fine. We never followed any curriculums but did make sure they could read, write and do arithmetic, the rest seemed to happen in a very eclectic and holistic way.

One of the things about home educating is maybe to let go and trust the natural instincts of a child to know, to questions and to attempt to understand, and to realise that something else goes on which I for one did not experience so I can only trust and marvel at. They seem to learn an incredible amount without constant repetition and pouring over texts and exams, it's amazing.

After one year at secondary we have taken them out again and we are 6 months into a year sailing in the med. Home ed with teens (13 yr old twins) is quite different to primary, but with a few books and the internet it's quite easy really. Our resources are limited by our size, 28 feet, but we seem to be managing fine.

We find conversation to be one of the greatest areas for education, as well as doing our best to answer all the questions which arise.

I'd always say go for it, don't worry too much about the academic side of things, in a way that's easy. To have this sort of time with our children is extraordinary, I love seeing them unfold, a real privilege hard to match in a hectic life ashore.
Mairi

Petronella

Visit site
Go for it. There is nothing more rewarding than when, at 25 years old, one of them comes back home, looks at you and says "Thank you for making me an adventurer".

We always travelled rough with our two girls with 6-week overland trips to the Sahara (when they were 4 and 2) and Botswana/Namibia. In Namibia they discovered what it is really like to be hungry when the food ran out and in Algeria they slept under the stars miles from anywhere.

Circumstances didn't allow us longer trips in those days but we would have taken them out of school had the situation arisen and, apart from at GCSE and A Level times they would not have suffered.

Now, one of them works for the Badminton Association in London and the other has just returned from a year long, self-financed, independent trip around the world.

Our generation has screwed things up pretty well but I like to think they are in as good a position as possible to take advantage of and contribute to what is still a pretty amazing world.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
With so much publicity recently about parents being prosecuted for taking kids out of school during term time, I am wondering if there are families out there who are held back in their desire to take the 'trip of a lifetime' through fears or concerns about kids' education?

Could the solution be to take a tutor?

Took mine, school were happy if it was educational and parents are suitably qualified.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Boy, I am glad you did that. I was thinking 'wtf is JONIC doing back in the Carib'.

Then I realised that the thread was three years old :)

:D Looking out the window today I'm thinking wtf is jonic doing NOT being back in the Caribbean!

SWBO's book has just been published www.sailawaybook.com and chapter 4 is entitled children on board. Lots of good info.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Anyone who has ever glanced at our blogs will realise that we are sailing with our two sons and that I look at life from a tongue in cheek perspective which is usually based on some kind of reality.

So for what it is worth here is my two euros and I want some change.

We took our sons out of mainstream education to go cruising. I say mainstream but it felt more like a river that had lost its way and someone had decided to build dams everywhere.

Creativity and individuality was stifled in order for the school to say a percentage had passed exams.

Now if you want to know why they wore cod pieces and had wooden teeth whilst writing “Romeo and Juliette” or that a boat full of Muslims hit the Thames barrier because it was the start of Ram-a- dam then great. If you want to plot endless matrices in maths that you will never, ever use again spend three days visiting a stone outcrop in the Peak district that is held up by a dovetail joint in a pencil box then great. I am sure every one of these things will assist them in the real world when the careers advisor tells them there are not jobs anyway.

You don’t have to follow a curriculum per say but invent your own that is based on practice and interesting things. Now I remember maths being so, so boring that I would be poking myself in the eyeball with a protractor to keep me awake and if a subject is boring then it puts you off for life. Now make that subject interesting and fun and you then enjoy it and want to know more. In our version of maths we do astral navigation, chart work, tidal heights ect. As a result they see a problem, work it out and get to see a practical result. It is also in its basic form maths that you would use every day.

Language lessons consist of go see the boy on the boat next door or go fishing with him. That boy is French. As a result he has learnt to speak with him on practical terms rather than learning why a banana is masculine and a biscuit is feminine.

We have a guitar aboard he has learnt to play wonderfully without a double cleft in sight. What did you learn from music in your entire school time?

We spend an hour a day looking at today’s headlines and discussing them. They know what is happening around them and why there is a financial crisis rather than how to build a wall out of straw and mud.

They know how an engine works and can make basic repairs and service it rather than dipping litmus papers into hair conditioners. They understand how electricity works on a practical level and can often fault find the problem rather than connecting a potato to a light bulb which of course is something we do every day.

Did I mention, photography, reading, writing blogs, using computers, swimming, diving, learning about the world and cultures, different foods, and most importantly enjoying yourself and your education.

They are confident, outgoing fun to be with and when the day comes for an interview which candidate would impress you. The one who has been to the Nelson Mandela School of clones or someone who says….. I have been sailing round the world?

Firefly211

Visit site
Taking kids out

As a teacher and yachtman I would say absolutely. But, I would suggest you do a little planning first and give a little thought to their ages at the time you plan to go.

I would look at the National Curriculum documents for the ages they are (these are available online). Avoid the transition years between schools and obviously the GCSE years 10 & 11 should be avoided if possible as they are important for progression to further education.

You can get hold of textbooks to supplement the opportunities you have to cover the topics. There are loads of opportunities to cover the sciences, maths, history, geography and languages. Social development with kids along the way are are also wonderful opportunities.

Essentially, you have to commit to working with them, reading together and discussing as a family, diary keeping for writing, etc, etc.

tomski

Visit site
I am also thinking of taking my son who just started yr 7 out for a year or so...I've met a couple of couples who had their kids with them on their boat traversing through Australia at that time and the kids were really amazing, full of knowledge and zest for life that you don't see in kids nowadays (as its all taken by the playstation or similiar)...though my concern is that i'm not a teacher hence the hesitation...

Firefly211

Visit site
I am also thinking of taking my son who just started yr 7 out for a year or so...I've met a couple of couples who had their kids with them on their boat traversing through Australia at that time and the kids were really amazing, full of knowledge and zest for life that you don't see in kids nowadays (as its all taken by the playstation or similiar)...though my concern is that i'm not a teacher hence the hesitation...

You don't need to be a teacher and year 7 is great time to go exploring! There is tons of stuff you can cover.

JustinC

Visit site
great thread, really glad this one has been revived.

For those who have gone, what would you say is the best age to take them ? We went for 9 months with a 7 month baby, and it was absolutely fine. However, I get the feeling we may have come back at a good time now he´s started being more mobile, although we haven´t reached the terrible twos yet.

Presumably from maybe 3-4 yrs onwards it gets better, and then back before the teens ? I imagine it depends on each different child and the parental approach, but it would be interesting to get some views.

Justin
P.S. Jonic - a copy of your wifes book will be in SWMBOs stocking this year - thanks for the idea!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Trouble with a 9 month old baby is their helming is a bit erratic although hoisting them up the mast is a doddle.
We have two teenage boys which for us is great. They want to learn, will take their turn on long passages and are good company. The downside is they always want feeding and finding company for them.

BacktoBoats

Visit site
The concensus here from parents who have taken their children out of school to cruise is overwhelmingly positive.

I can perhaps offer a slightly different perspective in that I was taken out of school when I was 12 to cruise the Med for 2 1/2 years with my brother and sister (both a bit older than me) and my parents. That was over 30 years ago, so no Internet or mobile phones. I did my "O" levels by correspondence course, we had to work out which port we would be at in 4 weeks time to give as the return postal address for each assignment. Our parents offered help if we needed it but otherwise pretty much left us to get on with it. For the first time we realised we were doing the work for ourselves, not for a teacher. We did most of our work in the winter and very little in the summer. This worked out well for all of us and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I went on to Manchester University and my brother managed two degrees. My Dad has since written a well reviewed Kindle book about it, "Family Aweigh".

Since then we have home educated my daughter (on dry land unfortunately) as that suited her perfectly, and my son went all of the way through the conventional school system, as that worked for him.

Now our children have left us the final chapter is for us two to get back out on a boat, plans underway!

Nom de plume

Visit site
The concensus here from parents who have taken their children out of school to cruise is overwhelmingly positive.

I can perhaps offer a slightly different perspective in that I was taken out of school when I was 12 to cruise the Med for 2 1/2 years with my brother and sister (both a bit older than me) and my parents. That was over 30 years ago, so no Internet or mobile phones. I did my "O" levels by correspondence course, we had to work out which port we would be at in 4 weeks time to give as the return postal address for each assignment. Our parents offered help if we needed it but otherwise pretty much left us to get on with it. For the first time we realised we were doing the work for ourselves, not for a teacher. We did most of our work in the winter and very little in the summer. This worked out well for all of us and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I went on to Manchester University and my brother managed two degrees. My Dad has since written a well reviewed Kindle book about it, "Family Aweigh".

Since then we have home educated my daughter (on dry land unfortunately) as that suited her perfectly, and my son went all of the way through the conventional school system, as that worked for him.

Now our children have left us the final chapter is for us two to get back out on a boat, plans underway!

Rest assured, our 12 year old will be reading this in the morning! (She came out of school in December in preparation for the 'off').

Half Moon

Visit site
main option / cyber school

look into cyber schooling. There both public and private cyber schools that really only require the ability to down link/and a lap top. Is your family up to the structure that will be required to progress through the age appropriate curriculum? If you think so, then go for it. Your LEA (local Education agency /local school district will be able to make sure you are not in any breach of parental responsibility with an approved cyber school.

Half Moon / on the hard till spring ; (recently retired from special education):)

Wansworth

Visit site
Back to boats sailed away with the company of his brother and sister on what was a positive adventure.I recall a girl of ten being confined aboard a thirty footer not really enjoying liverboard life .In the cases I know most kids liked the cruisin but enjoyed the strutured life of going to schooñ and having friends at least after their early teens.