Is a sailing boat with its engine on but not in gear a power boat?

bedouin

Visit site
The only thing I would add is there occasions where the braver step is to deviate form the rules, its not on every occasion. You have to be certain of your knowledge of the rules and the reason you are deviating....

Perhaps we need a day shape for "I am totally ignoring COLREGS" :)

l'escargot

Visit site
The only thing I would add is there occasions where the braver step is to deviate form the rules, its not on every occasion. You have to be certain of your knowledge of the rules and the reason you are deviating....

Perhaps we need a day shape for "I am totally ignoring COLREGS" :)

I think you would probably only need to show the day shape on the occasions you are totally ignoring COLREGS.

The difficulty would come when you ignored the rule to show the shape that tells everyone you are totally ignoring ColRegs. How would anyone know? :)

onesea

Visit site
I think you would probably only need to show the day shape on the occasions you are totally ignoring COLREGS.

The difficulty would come when you ignored the rule to show the shape that tells everyone you are totally ignoring ColRegs. How would anyone know? :)

I believe the shape already exists and is becoming increasingly standardized as below:
medsailors-sailing-croatia-guest-sits-behind.jpg

Although older shapes are still out there :D
rainbow-yacht-stern.jpg

san_francisco_big_boat_series_stern_view_close-up_of_yacht_trimming_the_sails_10004-30123-46.jpg

7-Jeff-Brown-2803.jpg

My personnel choice can be seen in my profile picture :D

freddy the frog

Visit site
I believe the shape already exists and is becoming increasingly standardized as below:
medsailors-sailing-croatia-guest-sits-behind.jpg

Although older shapes are still out there :D
rainbow-yacht-stern.jpg

san_francisco_big_boat_series_stern_view_close-up_of_yacht_trimming_the_sails_10004-30123-46.jpg

7-Jeff-Brown-2803.jpg

My personnel choice can be seen in my profile picture :D

Just be a little cautious and have your wits about you we cant all give way to everyone, common sense is a must.
many i times i have eased over a little to let a boat through starboard tack or not i just wish somenone would return the compliment now and again
Its all about having fun safely , not some old fart sailing along with the col regs in his hand shouting his head off.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Just be a little cautious and have your wits about you we cant all give way to everyone, common sense is a must.
many i times i have eased over a little to let a boat through starboard tack or not i just wish somenone would return the compliment now and again
Its all about having fun safely , not some old fart sailing along with the col regs in his hand shouting his head off.

I think that common sense is what causes collisions because the only thing common about it is that everyone thinks that they have it. This is why they developed a set of simple rules which makes collision all but impossible if followed by one or other of the vessels involved. The rules even allow you to break the rules (bit of an oxymoron/paradox) if the circumstances dictate that you must. They only really matter if you actually collide or cause someone problems, up to that point you can do what you like. The problem is generally one of trying to predict what the other vessel is going to do. What you don't want to happen is the typical situation when passing someone on the street and you both step the same direction to go round one another. If there was just a rule that said only step to the right then there wouldn't be a problem :). If you think the other boat would like you to ignore colregs and be 'courteous' by not standing on then fine but what if he doesn't. What if he is about to perform a manouvre that is unexpected by you in order to avoid colliding and your courteous manoeuvre causes a collision? It is not likely to happen. Most of the time you will get away with 'just common sense' but if it does happen you can be quite sure that 'just common sense' is not going to get you off the hook.

I don't recall any part of the colregs requiring people to shout or to give way to everyone.

Jamesuk

Visit site
In my opinion jfm is incorrect.

'being used' implies that it is used for the purposes of the rule, i.e. propelling the vessel.

What say you?

I can't believe this thread is still
Going. I can conclude two things:

Firstly a select few would do well to retake there day skipper or quit sailing altogether because they have been unable to grasp the theory of the COLREGS

Secondly, it seems a lot of people myself included who know the rules are getting carried away by the people unable to grasp the basics of the COLREGS and perhaps would do better to look at the job list for the boat.

Sorry what was the original question ?

Ha ha :))))