IPS and the Mags

DERF

Visit site
The most recent MBY has an article on the new Bavaria 42 and its full of the usual poetic journalistic clichés..... My point however, is that they have managed to mention IPS no less than 18 times in the article.!

I read and understood it was an IPS equiped boat the first time. Did I really need to have it pointed out ad nauseum?

Am I alone in thinking that there is a sustained campaign by the Mags to try and convince us all that this "revolutionary" propulsion system is now the best thing out there?

Why do we hear so litte about the other and in some professional circles, considerably better Cummings/mercruiser ZEUS?

I wonder how much influence Volvo have exerted at the Mag????

I can just hear it....

"We've spent millions developing this system and quite frankly were not as far ahead of the competition as we thought.. they even have a joystick control with independent azimuth ... so you guys better keep selling and pushing it or else!!!"

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Well I'm sure that there is an element of sucking up to advertisers but I think its more to do with the fact that IPS is considered newsworthy. I guess most Emap hacks dream about being highly paid high profile Beeb news journos so when something slightly new comes along in their little world, they tend to want to make a meal of it

MedDreamer

Visit site
I agree with that Mike, in reality there is not much major "news" in the boating world. New boats that come along are nearly all developed from or derivatives of existing models so no real excitement there. When something does come along that really is different or newsworthy then they will milk it for all its worth.

Anyone's who's ever tried to put a monthly staff newsletter together will know that feeling.

Where I do feel uneasy about the reporting is that it seems to be always gushingly positive. Late last year while on holiday I picked up an American mag which was reporting serious concerns about the way the leg detaches itself when it collides with something. These concerns were strong enough for Volvo to take seriously and they responded. I have never seen anything about this in any of the UK mags.

It may be good but the way the way that MBM & MBY gush about it seems to suggest its perfect, I doubt it is. I do wish there would be a bit more objectivity in their reporting.

I think Depsol put a post on here a few weeks ago about the cost of servicing the legs as they require 3 people to lift them on and off. To be fair I think one of the mags mentioned this but it was "in passing" rather than a strong possible negative issue.

Martyn

PS: What are you doing on here anyway, shouldn't you be stood in an airport queue holding your shoes (Don't forget to wear the good socks!)

[2068]

Visit site
>cost of servicing the legs as they require 3 people to lift them on and off

You don't need to take them off to service them: that was a warranty issue.

dv.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You're right Martyn, we're off to Stansted this afternoon doubtless to spend a few hours admiring the terminal architecture. Lets hope the Muzzies have never heard of Air Berlin /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I guess the difference between US and the UK is that Volvo is a much smaller player in the US so maybe the US mags are happy to slag them off, especially since they're foreign. Difficult to imagine them slagging off Mercruiser or Brunswick though
Generally though I agree with you. MBM/MBY are little more than coffee table type promotional puffs for their advertisers

B

bob_tyler

"I guess most Emap hacks dream about being highly paid high profile Beeb news journos ...."

What has EMAP got to do with it? They have no Boating Magazines to my knowledge.

[2068]

Visit site
Volvo in the US sell an increasing amount of petrol engines, and these aren't seen as foreign, mainly cos they are all made in Lexington, Tennessee, yee haa. I believe the SX and DP-S sterndrives are also made there.

The strange Swedish green diesel things are still viewed with suspicion, as big smoky old Detroit Diesels, Caterpillar etc. still seem to hold their ground.

dv.

ontheplane

Visit site
I wonder if the total blanket non-reporting of Zeuss etc and total waxing-lyrical on IPS has anything to do with advertising spend...

Perhaps someone with a lot of time on their hands could work out the number of mentions of the two systems... and then compare that with the amount each company spends with the mags...

I am sure it will be interesting...

Mike21

Visit site
Perhaps one of the reason there is no mention of " Zeuss" in MBY & MBM is according to mercruiser website, the drives won.t start rolling out till next year. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif