IPhone, GRIB

nickob

Visit site
Hey Snooks

It would be nice to see the day, rather than just the date on the map window.
Also some sort of key to the colours of the wind sticks on the map might be nice.
Values of isobars would be good to see on the map, rather than having to move to the centre cursor over them
The latest version of PocketGrib ticks off a few more things on your list. You can now see the day as well as the date and I have added a key/legend for all the parameters. I will try and get values on the isobars for the next version although this version now shows isobars every 20mb in bold (so 980, 1000, 1020, 1040mb) which provides good context as to the pressure values.

Cheers,
Nicko
http://pocketgrib.com

DarkBlue

Visit site
Well done

Nickob,
I've just bought your app and I must say I'm very happy with it. The only thing that for some reason is not working it's the waves height (I have this on at both the display and the download settings). Do you know what may be wrong with this? I'm in Lisboa, Portugal, btw.
In conclusion, I've lots of nautical apps in my iPhone and I must say this one it's definitely one of the best ones I've got.
Thank you.

nickob

Visit site
Nickob,
I've just bought your app and I must say I'm very happy with it. The only thing that for some reason is not working it's the waves height (I have this on at both the display and the download settings). Do you know what may be wrong with this? I'm in Lisboa, Portugal, btw.
In conclusion, I've lots of nautical apps in my iPhone and I must say this one it's definitely one of the best ones I've got.
Thank you.

Hi DarkBlue,

Thanks for your kind words.

I've attached a screenshot of what I see when I do a download of weather in your area. If you happen to be looking at the Mediterranean, you won't find any waves since the global wave model (WW3) doesn't produce waves for closed bodies of water. Otherwise, the only issue I can think is that there was a problem with the GRIB files when you were looking (PocketGrib uses GRIBs from Saildocs) - the waves model is separate from the weather model so Saildocs need to get them both and put them together so it's possible there can be some timing issues there. So, perhaps give it another shot and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Nicko

DarkBlue

Visit site
Nicko,
It seems that the problem only happens when you are downloading data with a high zooming detail. I mean, when downloading data in a close radious for Lisbon, for example, there's no wave details but if zooming out, there it is.
So everything's clear now and I'm still very happy with this app of yours.
Thank you

nickob

Visit site
Question for Nick.

Any way of slowing down the forward animation? It zaps along so quickly that those of us with very little brain can't correlate the veers, backs and speed changes with the time.
Hey Twister Ken,

Not currently, but let me add that to the next update. Will keep you posted...

Cheers,
Nicko

nickob

Visit site
Nicko,
It seems that the problem only happens when you are downloading data with a high zooming detail. I mean, when downloading data in a close radious for Lisbon, for example, there's no wave details but if zooming out, there it is.
So everything's clear now and I'm still very happy with this app of yours.
Thank you
Ok, that makes sense. The WW3 wave model only has data points each 1.25 degrees longitude/1 degree latitude and there are obviously no points on the land. So quite often along the coast you will see a gap with no wave coverage which can be as much as 1/1.25 degrees wide. The GFS model which provides all the other weather data is available up to 0.5x0.5 degrees.

Cheers,
Nicko

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
@weathertrack
any news from them? will you be able to add WAM4 data to your fantastic app?

Finally the good news: It was a lot of work & head scratching, but I've done it! Data will be availabe in the next release 1.4, coming very soon.

By the way, for Xmas season WEATHERTRACK has a huge price drop of 50%, decreasing from 19.99 USD to only 9.99 USD.

Seasons greetings

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
It looks pretty good but I can't seem to get WAVES in the English Channel ?

Yes, you can. This is how it works:

1) Use the plus button to add a GRIB file. Choose "via catalog".
2) Go to "Norwegian Metoffice". Open that page and choose "Central Europe Weather".
3) Download - and you'll see the waves in the English Channel.

nickob

Visit site
Just a quick heads up that PocketGrib is available for £0.69/US$1 over the Christmas period for any folks who are interested in giving it a try.

Seasons greeting,
Nicko

Other threads that may be of interest