IPhone, GRIB

Hazymoonshine

Visit site
IPhone PocketGrib

Another vote in support of the PocketGrib. I think you've done a good job at this Nicko and well worth the £3 odd for it.

It gives me the overview, and then detailed information I require quickly and clearly without having to resort to web pages, which I have used in the past.

I look forward to watching the small additions/enhancements emerge!

Best wishes

Julian

marwea

Visit site
I have contacted the Cyprus Oceanography Center and asked if the have GRIB files available. I searched the web site, and they do have a nice graphic display of Med waves, that must be based on GRIB files somehow. But I have not yet found a spot to download GRIB files. I will see what they have to say.

@weathertrack
any news from them? will you be able to add WAM4 data to your fantastic app?

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Wave data in GRIB form

It does look as though some organisations are willing for their products to be available on a browser but not in GRIB file form.

On http://www.dmi.gov.tr/en-US/marine-metu3-detail.aspx - recently noted elsewhere on YBW, there are what are (presumably) GFS winds accompanied by sea state. My guess that these come from The Cyprus Oceanogtaphy Centre although they might just be from COAMPS.

The UK Met Office seems willing to provide GRIB data to weatheronline.co.uk but not for open use. Of course, there are politics involved here. Might the Cyprus Centrealso be bound by the same costraints?

Last edited:

G12

Visit site
the latest version WEATHERTRACK 1.1. has been released on the app store providing new features, such as Meteogram, Animation, Track Weather and more improvements. The new features are shown and explained as videos on our new website. Check it out here:

http://www.weathertrack.us/

Just downloaded it. It's the most expensive app I've ever bought by a long way but it seems to be pretty good at what it does.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Windfinder GRIB Apps

Snooks

Thank you for that one. It is becoming difficult to keep up with them all.

Re Windfinder - and all of them - including services available on browser, by FTP or email you have to remember one fact. Any service that offers forecasts worldwide up to 5 or more (up to 8 days are available) days ahead is likely to be taken directly from the US NOAA, GFS (Global Forecast System). There are other sources eg NOGAPS (US Navy) and the Canadian Met service. However, along with the UK, the US is one of the two world leader in operational numerical weather prediction. So, as the UK and other European services do not make their raw computer forecasts freely available in GRIB form, the GFS is not likely to be bettered by any other free service.

The only differences in any free, globally available forecasts is likely to be in the presentation. All the Apps that I have seen so far use the GFS although one at least (Weathertrack) does offer other models. There may be others.

nickob

Visit site
Just bought it, on the first play it looks good....a few points:
Looking over the Irish sea on 18th Apr 0300, I find it quite hard to see the green 20kt wind sticks, but the red 20kt wind sticks stand out.
Agreed, I had a few comments on this so made the default to be in red and also made the wind barbs bolder so they stand out better against the background.

Looks good, and for £3.50 it was worth the punt :)
Thanks for checking it out and for the feedback!

Nicko
http://pocketgrib.com

Last edited:

samtwist

Visit site
I've also been using PocketGrib and have been finding it very handy and easy to use. The animate function works nicely (no waiting while the animation is prepared) and very helpful in seeing weather situations develop. The Meteograms look pretty slick too. Given it's relatively cheap, it's worth checking out.

Sam

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
I use iGrib (from 'Boatie' developer Mojoso) and have been impressed with forecasts (ltd to Biscay so far).
Best,
Steve

Whichever of these you use is really only a matter of which is most convenient on your device. In most cases you are getting the US GFS, maybe presented in different ways and with different elements.

There is no advantage in using the Canadian or the USN NOGAPS. In a few very local cases – eg through the Strait of Gibraltar one off the commercial services will give better wind strengths. When it comes to the large scale – including when the wind through the Gib Strait turns from E to W, the GFS will be the best service to use.