IPhone, GRIB

greggron

Visit site
I have an iPhone with Navionics for UK & Holland installed. No GRIB overlay included. When I contacted Navionics with:

"I have version 4.4 for UK and Holland. I understand there is an upgrade to get a grib overlay but don't seem to be able to access this. I'm sure you don't expect previous purchasers to buy the whole thing again just for this feature so could you please let me know what I am doing wrong".

This was their response:

"In order to continue improving the Mobile apps, Navionics had to make some structural changes that made it impossible to provide the new app as an update.

If you wish to have the new App with all the new features such as wind forcast, you have to purchase it separately".

So it looks like us iPhone users have to purchase the whole thing again. Doesn't seem like good customer service to me.

thedoc

Visit site
i phone GRIB apps

'Passageweather' provides GRIBs for an i phone (free app) and a newly released app (7/2/11) called 'weathertrack' says it does too, though at a cost of £11.99. I have not tried the latter one as yet and it is too new to have any reviews.

jamesjermain

Visit site
I have an iPhone with Navionics for UK & Holland installed. No GRIB overlay included. When I contacted Navionics with:

"I have version 4.4 for UK and Holland. I understand there is an upgrade to get a grib overlay but don't seem to be able to access this. I'm sure you don't expect previous purchasers to buy the whole thing again just for this feature so could you please let me know what I am doing wrong".

This was their response:

"In order to continue improving the Mobile apps, Navionics had to make some structural changes that made it impossible to provide the new app as an update.

If you wish to have the new App with all the new features such as wind forcast, you have to purchase it separately".

So it looks like us iPhone users have to purchase the whole thing again. Doesn't seem like good customer service to me.

What a bu**er! Not worth the dosh - I have more than enough alternative sources of weather - but it would have been nice to have the whole deal on the phone.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
By the way, 'passageweather' is obtainable form their website, not an app store.
http://www.passageweather.com/mobile.htm

I'm a bit sniffy about apps that don't come through iTunes, coz I suspect it means they have't been tested and found pure by Apple. Last thing I want is to introduce a glitch onto the phone.

Mind, I might be far too trusting of Apple Corp. Perhaps it just bungs them out there without testing.

fireball

Visit site
It's not really an app ... it's a web page designed for smartphones - so won't display nicely on a big browers - perfectly safe to use ... (most of them are!).
I've written one for work - same principle, just doesn't display the weather ... just stock details!

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
'Passageweather' provides GRIBs for an i phone (free app) and a newly released app (7/2/11) called 'weathertrack' says it does too, though at a cost of £11.99. I have not tried the latter one as yet and it is too new to have any reviews.

I am the developer of the iPhone app WEATHERTRACK and I am happy to answer your questions here. Indeed WEATHERTRACK does display GRIB files in detail for any location in the world. You can choose the area of interest on a world map and you can choose from several NOAA models, currently GFS, COMAPS, NOGAPS, WW3 and RTOFS.

By the way, you can view all customer reviews from the App store here:

http://www.weathertrack.us/customer

And you can always debate about the price, but it was a hell of a job to make this app happen. ;)

Any more questions?

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
I am the developer of the iPhone app WEATHERTRACK and I am happy to answer your questions here. Indeed WEATHERTRACK does display GRIB files in detail for any location in the world. You can choose the area of interest on a world map and you can choose from several NOAA models, currently GFS, COMAPS, NOGAPS, WW3 and RTOFS.

By the way, you can view all customer reviews from the App store here:

http://www.weathertrack.us/customer

And you can always debate about the price, but it was a hell of a job to make this app happen. ;)

Any more questions?

Hi. I just bought your app for my iPad , but am having trouble displaying any data except for wind in the Mediterranean. Any idea what's going wrong?

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
Hi. I just bought your app for my iPad , but am having trouble displaying any data except for wind in the Mediterranean. Any idea what's going wrong?

This makes me wonder how did you get the wind from the Med? Did you tap the + button in the top right corner to add a grib file?

The normal way to add a grib file is as follows:

* Tap the '+' button to add a grib file
* a map appears, pan and zoom the map to cover the area of interest
* you can use the GPS button to locate your current position
* you can use the magnifying glass icon to reset the zoom level to some know value, for example overview in case you are lost on the map.
* tap the "gears" button to modify the request parameters, for example the layers you are interested in like wind, waves, rain, cloud cover.
* adjust the forecast interval and the number of days
* tap the download button to get the grib file.

If the GPS button is greyed out, you night have no GPS hardware (iPad without GSM module, iPod Touch) or you did say no to the iOS question the first time Weathertrack was started whether Weathertrack may use your current location. You can change this in System Preferences, choose General and then Location Services and check that Weathertrack is enabled there.

I hope that helps, if you have more questions I would be happy to answer them as best as I can.

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

GPS is working fine on my iPad and showing my current position in your application. My current position is in Switzerland though so not near the area I was looking at in the Med.

Yes, I followed your instructions except all I did was zoom in to the area of interest and press download.

Just tried it again.

Wind data is fine.
Pressure at sea level is fine.
Precipitation is fine.
Cloud cover is fine.
Air temperature is fine.
Waves data is missing except for areas outside the Mediterranean.

It's as if the Med is a black hole for wave data.

EDIT: Just to be clear if I enlarge to target area to include a part of the Atlantic, the wave data is present in that area but not anywhere in the Med.

Last edited:

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
Waves data is missing except for areas outside the Mediterranean.

It's as if the Med is a black hole for wave data.

EDIT: Just to be clear if I enlarge to target area to include a part of the Atlantic, the wave data is present in that area but not anywhere in the Med.

Ah OK, now I understand. The built-in download is offering wave data through the NOAA WW3 model, which does only calculate ocean waves, e.g Pacific or Atlantic ocean including North Sea, but excludes the Med or Baltic. This fact is stated in the help text.

However, we are working on getting access to other weather models that do include waves for the Mediterranean in the future. If you happen to have data available from one of the commercially subscription services, WEATHERTRACK will happily display this wave data, though.