IPhone, GRIB

dunedin

Visit site
I am the developer of the iPhone app WEATHERTRACK and I am happy to answer your questions here. Indeed WEATHERTRACK does display GRIB files in detail for any location in the world. You can choose the area of interest on a world map and you can choose from several NOAA models, currently GFS, COMAPS, NOGAPS, WW3 and RTOFS.

Any more questions?

Are you going to make this available for the Android platform - which seems to be outselling Apple now over here

adrianevans

Visit site
I have found iGrib to be pretty good. Not 100% perfect but pretty good.

The only thing I'd like is for it to auto locate and download a certain size area.

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
Are you going to make this available for the Android platform - which seems to be outselling Apple now over here

We did not yet evaluate how much effort it would be to port Weathertrack to Android. We just delivered the first version to the Apple App store on Feb. 7 and will do a maintenance release with a few small glitches that popped up.

We will definitely look into the Android platform and see what we can do. It will be some effort as far as I can see, because the platforms do not even have the same programming language in common (Java on Android, Objective-C on iOS).

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
I have found iGrib to be pretty good. Not 100% perfect but pretty good.

The only thing I'd like is for it to auto locate and download a certain size area.

Ah well, sorry for my pitch here - but I could not resist. :D

With Weathertrack you can mark an area on the map, adjust the forecast interval and number of days and select the layers of interest. If you later want to re-download just a newer forecast with the same parameters, we have a refresh button (visible while the old file is open), this will just do this.

Last edited:

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Just found this on www.passageweather.com

"The Wave Height & Direction forecast charts for the Mediterranean Sea and Black Sea are derived from the WAM4 wave model, run by the Cyprus Oceanography Center. The WAM4 model is run once a day, with forecast output to 108 hours (4.5 days)."

Weathertrack, are you able to integrate this model into your application?

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
Just found this on www.passageweather.com

"The Wave Height & Direction forecast charts for the Mediterranean Sea and Black Sea are derived from the WAM4 wave model, run by the Cyprus Oceanography Center. The WAM4 model is run once a day, with forecast output to 108 hours (4.5 days)."

Weathertrack, are you able to integrate this model into your application?

I have contacted the Cyprus Oceanography Center and asked if the have GRIB files available. I searched the web site, and they do have a nice graphic display of Med waves, that must be based on GRIB files somehow. But I have not yet found a spot to download GRIB files. I will see what they have to say.

weathertrack

www.weathertrack.com
The screen shots from Weathertrack on your site are very small and iPhone only instead of iPad screen shots. Competition is great, but it should be a fair play as well. May I supply you with some nice iPad ones from Weathertrack, for example the ones that appear when you go to the iTunes app store and select the iPad version on the top right corner of the screen shot section?

jonrarit

Visit site
I am the developer of the iPhone app WEATHERTRACK and I am happy to answer your questions here.

Hi weathertrack ... just downloaded you app & thought I'd say nice piece of work, thank you. Does exactly what it says on the tin, easy to use and informative.

For less than the cost of a round of drinks, I'd say well worth the money.

JR

nickob

Visit site
And another iPhone GRIB app...

After many years as a uGrib user on PC, I finally got around to developing my own GRIB app for iPhone. I have just released PocketGrib which aims to be the "uGrib for iPhone" that myself and others have been looking for.

You can see some screenshots and the full description here.

mzl.cuadxibn.320x480-75.jpg

Let me know what you think...

Cheers,
Nicko

Metabarca

Visit site
Weathertrack will give you gribs for the whole world either based on where you are, or whatever part of the globe you choose and over as large an area as you like: pressure, wind, precipitation, wave height, air temperature. Worth the dosh, I reckon.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Let me know what you think...

Cheers,
Nicko

Just bought it, on the first play it looks good....a few points:

It would be nice to see the day, rather than just the date on the map window.
Also some sort of key to the colours of the wind sticks on the map might be nice.
Looking over the Irish sea on 18th Apr 0300, I find it quite hard to see the green 20kt wind sticks, but the red 20kt wind sticks stand out.
I don't know whether the red arrows are more than 20kt and the green bits are less than 20kt...if you get what I mean (they both have 2x 10kt in the wind sticks but one set are green the other red)
Might be nice to have an option to turn them all black or user configurable?
Values of isobars would be good to see on the map, rather than having to move to the centre cursor over them

Well that's enough to be going on with for the moment :)

Looks good, and for £3.50 it was worth the punt :)

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Weathertrack will give you gribs for the whole world either based on where you are, or whatever part of the globe you choose and over as large an area as you like: pressure, wind, precipitation, wave height, air temperature. Worth the dosh, I reckon.
No wave height for the med though.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Bill Reilly (Passageweather) says (correctly) that "...the NOAA WW3 does not cover the Med, and that the US Navy WW3 (COAMPS) is not very good, is really inconsistent, hard to use and innaccurate. He says that the Med wave data on PW is the WAM4 model run by the Cyprus Oceanography Center, and is much better, higher resolution and much more accurate."

Knowing a little about wave modelling, I recognize the problems caused by a closed basin, many islands and complex coasts. In ten Med years, we usually found the swell very confused. Whilst I cannot comment on Bill's assertion about the Cyprus WAM4, I do have to wonder how good or useful is Med wave modelling. We never felt a need for the output..