IOS to Santorini A question for the Greek chapter

affinite

Visit site
We are currently in Serifos and planning to visit in Santorini in a few days time. I seem to remember someone advising that you can catch a ferry from Ios to Santorini for a day trip. Does anyone know what time they go and return ? I assume they go from Ios town.
(I dont really want to sail as far South as Santorini.)
Thanks i advance Steve (Affinite)

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Never had problems parking in Vlikhada, either alongside oustide the west curved quay (keep well clear of the shallows on the SW side of the channel!) or end-on or alongside inside pointing NW. Yes, crowded inside at times, had to raft up, lots of fenders needed. Usually space on the outside of the inner quay though. Very well sheltered in settled weather, and ok up to F6 in SW winds, when the spray starts to fly over the outer breakwater.

Last edited:

affinite

Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys.
In the end we had to skip Santorini as strong winds were forcast which would have held us in Ios. Might try again in October

Malo37

Visit site
On advise given to me by numerous Greek charter boat skippers.. Don`t go to Santorini on a smallish yacht. Take the ferry from Ios.

But sailing into the Santorini caldera should be on every sailors 100 must do list. Must be one of the world's most spectacular landfalls. I managed (just) to sneak into Vlikhada in a 53ft boat. Not the easiest or most convenient place and a 15 min taxi ride to Thira, but worth it for the sailing.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
But sailing into the Santorini caldera should be on every sailors 100 must do list. Must be one of the world's most spectacular landfalls. I managed (just) to sneak into Vlikhada in a 53ft boat. Not the easiest or most convenient place and a 15 min taxi ride to Thira, but worth it for the sailing.

What you say above is correct.
However if a 6-7 or 8 blows through, you are a long way from a safe harbour with an easy entrance.