Internet providers

tcm

Visit site
Re: what does the \"on\" switch do?

er shite. Why 3 boxes? Three lots of sat tv? but but we only watch simpsons videos, mostly tapes. But maybe the mudwrestling channel.

will have to have a look and worry. Then get get bloke to flat, nail dish on, pay money, steal card wotsit or "decoder"

yes yes re boat in water. Dunno refitout. It means it floats, anyway. Mebbe a raz up the river?

jfm

Visit site
Re: what does the \"on\" switch do?

Oooer. Better sort next week. Def 3 boxes listed in spec. Praps you will have to get 3 boxes from Dixons in UK, one for flat, one house, one office. Then drive round in big massive rush before each weekend on boat collecting all the blimmin cards! No matter, will look good on charter spec, people expect lots of stuff on there that will never get used. Axshully will need to get 3x card for boat, for charter punters anyway

River trip, if possible, would be fab, bit like Wissey, only miles better. Boatone please could you be so kind as to lend some (more) webspace?

Loggin out

byron

RIP
Visit site
Bad Bad Bad advice. Whatever ISP one chooses AOL should never be in the equation. It corrupts your H.D. to suit itself and uses an entirely different format to all the others. Think of Betamax and you ain't far wrong.

ô¿ô

burgundyben

Visit site
I gave up with BT in the uk, could not connect, got chuked off etc.

Now either use office or freeserve freefone number.

Funnily enough, I am out in Shanghai three weeks a month and I use a free internet number almost all day, its a slow connection at 18kbps but I can always get on and am never chucked off, try using the China mobile fone network and its another matter.......about a 25% success rate in making calls and worse with sending text.

At risk of being lambasted for repeating myself, the porsche is still for sale.....

Geoffs

Visit site
Totally disagree, sorry Byron. Use AOL no problems, sure it may install a few DLL's, so does most software. No HD corruption, OK a few AOL logo's here and there. Use IE or Netscape as browser, no difference then to any other ISP. Betamax analolgy not valid.

There, that's my bit of contention for the day. Signing off from AOL.

byron

RIP
Visit site
AOL does use different technology which is why many websites and software have to be adapted to cope. As regards just a few DLLs.... remove AOL from your machine and you will have to reformat your drive and reinstall everything if you want everything working properly. I will not dwell on their lost emails for that is another subject.

ô¿ô

G

NOT BT Anytime

Hmmmm

have just signed up to BT 'Anytime'. The theory being you can connect anytime, pay no call charges and only pay £15 per month.

I think BT could probably be had under trades description act for calling the service 'Anytime' as you can rarely connect first time (especially eves), regularly hangs and sometimes disconnects.

Was previously with freeserve and had no probs - only reason for change was now using internet a lot of time during the day and calls were adding up.

NTL not an option here and was interested to see feedback on AOL.

Don't think this post helps much as far as recommendation goes (other than I never had a problem with freeserve) but wanted a whinge at BT!

H

Geoffs

Visit site
I guess we must agree to differ. I can only say I use AOL, everything works (as well as it can do on cr*p Intel/MS based system).

I've tried many others and come back toAOL. The worst I ever tried, is V21, not well known. Totally unreliable and they censor email. I once described someone as a 'Pussey Cat'. This was changed to 'Kitten Cat' and I received a snotto mail telling me to moderate my language! Ditched them!

I can only say, from my experience, I can recommend AOL. Why, even YBW.com works well. And an excellent help line, at no extra charge (0800 number), for the inevitable issues than crop up.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
Like Geoff, I've tried others and returned to AOL.
I think Byron that it is misleading to call this bad advice. Probably AOL is the most widely used ISP internationally and I see no reason to uninstall it so will never hit the problems that you antisipate.
David (mostly Byron you are right...not this one)

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: NOT BT Anytime

BT Anytime have a terrible reputation in the 'trade' and have been the subject of a Watchdog program. The two 'anytime' ISPs that consistently come in the top reviews are PLUSNET and SURFANYTIME I have both and prefer PLUSNET. Mainly because PLUSNET have compression and the other hasn't.

ô¿ô

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Freeserve is OK for us at home, £10.99 for evgs & weekends. They have an arrangement with BT which means that you can pay for it on your phone bill which is convenient. Only complaint is their helpline service which has very poor access. Will go to broadband when NTL sort themselves out, or onto Freeserve Broadband which they are making noises about sometime in May. Live in a cable area and can't get NTL to do anything - journos are suggesting that they could be the next Enron.

Geoffs

Visit site
NTL in Bad Way

They are dumping staff like mad, with questionable legality. Not connecting any new domestic premises.

My son worked for them for 5 years (Comtel before NTL), was called in just before Christmas and told to go. No redundancy, notice, payment, nothing. Trying to get him to take the matter further. I'll help, but he has to drive it.

G

I've rarely if ever had problems with the virgin.net provider. Mostly office time connecting so no experience of evening/weekend peak times.

BernieB

G

Second thankyou to you all on this subject 34 replies to present time ! 20 21 nearly a record for a non boaty post, going away from the site to see the boat tommorow, will you be in Lymington jfm? if anyone is im in the yachthaven.
Paul js.

G

Re: Week-end away on the boat

Is that for the solent/ south coast then, not looked yet.

Paul js.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Get broadband

if you can. As someone else says, it's great. I have a cable modem. Blurb says it's a lot faster than DSL. I dunno 'cos can't get DSL where I live. Advantage of DSL is that it comes down your phone line. (does not prevent you from using phone at same time as WWW).