"International Yachtmaster"

Jean

Visit site
\"International Yachtmaster\"

I met the skipper/crew of a commercial vessel whilst in Cyprus last week. They claimed to hold the "International Yachtmaster" certificate, apparently gained from a UK South Coast sea school. What is it and who administers it?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site
Re: \"International Yachtmaster\"

It cannot be worth anything in this country because the RYA now has copyright on the word Yachtmaster, and the words Yacht and Master when used in conjunction with one another. Whoever is issuing such certificates could find themselves in pretty hot legal waters if they persist.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Juggler7823

Visit site

The word "yachtmaster" is often used on this forum. You have used it! Are we and you breaching the RYA copyright?

Look back thru PBO and YM for articles on this subject Try www.ybw.com/auto/mbm/edletter/ 20020521203917mbmedletter.html A US company, IYT, has been recognised by the MCA in Britain to run courses. Look at http://www.mswi.org/YachtmasterCoastal.html They are offering a series of courses approved by the MCA and called Yachtmaster

<hr width=100% size=1>LOM

gtmoore

Visit site
Re: "International Yachtmaster"

International Yachtmaster Training perhaps? They are a US company but I heard that they may be opening a school in the UK - don't know if its South Coast though and don't think the courses are RYA ones. There was some mention of it in the magazines a few months ago

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

nope it is the other YM qualification from the US company
The rya has admitted that it cannot have a monopoly over sailing certs altho it hopes it coninues to be the benchmark for other quals.

i thought also it had no copyright over yachtmaster

its greatest fear ofcourse is other people doing a course entitling people to say i am a yachtmaster
and it not being the rya yachtmaster or of the same quality

what the quality of this new course is like i have no idea. if it is rubbish i am sure people will learn to ask are you are rya yachtmaster or another sort? if it is not well then no harm in a bit of competition.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

Cornishman

Visit site
Re: "International Yachtmaster"

You are quite right, but I only use the word in connection with the RYA scheme.

Shore based tutors attending their annual conferences this year have been told by the RYA the facts I mentioned.

<hr width=100% size=1>

S

Skyva_2

One of my students was off to a course in the Med, Day Skipper practical and approved by the Mediterranean Cruising Association - MCA for short, with a very similar logo to our own Coastguard men!

Keith

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: copyright

Not quite. To quote Yachting Monthly Jan 03 p48 "Shrewdly, he (IYT) then registered as a trademark the very word coined by the RYA: 'yachtmaster'."
Also IYT has registered <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtmaster.com>http://www.yachtmaster.com</A>
I think it shows how complacent the RYA had become.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site

Not quite........
If you read the small print at the bottom of IYT's homepage it says that the word is "federally" registered i.e. in the USA, but not here. You should check with the RYA because things have altered since that website and the Jan 03 YM article were published.
More careful study shows that the training they have got the MCA to approve is for Megayachts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site

It is my understanding that you cannot copyright words which are commonly used in everyday life. Yacht masters existed long before the RYA qualification and so I would imagine that it could only be copyrighted if it were used in a very limited context such as "yachtmaster certificate".

However I defer to the lawyers.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk

Y.M. (and I) didn't say "copyrighted". What was said, and what is said on their website is that it a [bold]trademark[/bold]. to quote their site:
"Yachtmaster® is a federally registered trademark of International Yachtmaster® Training, Inc."

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidhand

Visit site

International Yachtmaster Training is a US (Florida I believe) outfit that started giving "yachtmaster" training several years ago and copyrighted the term "yachtmaster" in the US. A couple of years ago several schools in the US and Caribean started giving RYA Yachtmaster classes and were sued in US court for copyright infringement. The RYA and the schools concerned went to court claiming the term yachtmaster had been in use long before I.Y.T. and that they (I.Y.T.) had no right to the copyright. The RYA won and the term "yachtmaster" is supposedly no longer copyright in the US. However I.Y.T. is still claiming copyright on their web site (www.yachtmaster.com) last time I looked, maybe there is an appeal going on. I have no idea if RYA has copyright in the UK, none of their publications that I have seen make any claim to it.
Somebody else on this thread mentioned the USCG six pack. This is the minimum comercial qualification the USCG gives and is a slaing term because you are limited to a maximum of six passengers. I have a six pack and a 50 ton masters and neither require any on the water testing just a written test which is not too difficult except for the "rules of the road" which requires a 90% score.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dk

Visit site

I think you'll find the RYA doesn't have copyright on the term Yachtmaster - the court decided no-one could have as it had been in general use for too long. Therefore both the RYA & IYT are entitled to use the term in their courses - or anyone else for that matter!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site
Re: 6 Pack - Race Restriction

No it is not international.

Only US citizens can have USCG qualifications. They have very strict race rules.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Tantalus

Visit site

Beg to differ...Any US resident may qualify for the "Six Pack".
Other, higher qualifications are limited to US citizens.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site

Changes have taken place, BUT my info was based on my personal experience and of friends in South Carolina in 1998.

The USCG would not allow any non US citizen to sit the exams for any USCG qualification.

Looking at their web site I now find that a "wog" like me can get a 6 pack licence but only valid for as non US registered boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>