International Certificte of Competence

Maxidom

Visit site
We are going down to Spain and Portugal this year and have discovered that we must have an ICC. I had planned to do the 'Yachtmaster Practical' later in the year so enquired about just taking the ICC test. The sailing schools seem to insist upon a weekends course or at the very least a £150 fee for an instructor to come out and assses us on our own boat. This seems excessive to me and smacks of a cartell. Does anyone have any views on this and advise of a better approach.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
That's what I had to pay 4 years ago. Had a weekend course with an inexperienced crew with the examiner/instructor watching how I did. Not too bad, but in November it was bloody cold!

The thing is valid for 5 years and you are supposed to carry it at all times, though I 've only been asked for it once in France and once in Spain.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

mdrifter

Visit site
I'm pretty sure that if you do your "practical" the only extra bit required is the "cevni" which is now mandatory for ICC even if you do not venture inland. The cevni exam is/was multiple choice and although the book lists innumerable symbols the test/exam isn't too onerous and should not take more than about 30 minutes to complete, if that. If you are a member of the RYA, your ICC will not cost a bean to issue. Might be a small fee for cevni test.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Got my ICC a month ago - I selected not to get the inland waters part, so only had to write to RYA with proof of ability (say RYA day skipper tidal practical ticket) and photo, and ICC came back a few days later. No cost.

Regards, Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
where are you based?
If you only want the exam there must still be places cheaper than that - mine was about 50 five years ago on the Medway in their boat! As CEVNI is theory it's not going to add to the cost of the exam. Medway cruising school - medway bridge marina I think it was.
Cert issue on top - but as already stated free to RYA ('cept of course I havent cancelled the DDM and have therefore paid over and over.....only joking.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
According to the RYA, you do not have to have an ICC withing the EC provided you are not using inland waterways - other EC governments are supposed to recognise each others licensing arrangements (which for a UK boat means no license). However, some EC governments are better than others at doing this - the RYA spokesman said OK in France but best have it in Spain. Personally, I have never been asked for it in either.

The RYA also advise that even if you have the YM cert, it is better to take along the multi language translation which they will provide if you ask them.

There are clubs who will do the ICC for non members for a lot less than the sum mentioned. Ask the RYA for a list of approved training centres.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I got mine through my local club - they simply issued me one when I asked, but I was resonably well known to all concerned and had just spent the week as a mobile committee boat for athe X99 Europeans, so I suspect that the boathandling had been adequately displayed to all relevant people for some days. It was also in the 'old days' when the ICC was still known as the HOCC. Cant remember what it cost - but I suspect they wrote it off against my fuel bill for the week!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
since when...

has CEVNI been compulsory. i got an icc from the rya in 2001 which was endorsed 'coastal waters: yes, inland waters: no'

i wonder how valid it is if the rules have changed

<hr width=100% size=1>

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
Re: since when...

CEVNI is not compulsory, unless you want to go on the French (and some German) canals. You can still have an ICC without CEVNI.

The old HOCC was issued by yacht clubs without a practical test, but this has changed, you now need a simple practical boat handling test (or a day skipper or above) to get the basic ICC. Details are on the RYA site

<hr width=100% size=1>

NDG

Visit site

So how do I get a CEVNI thingy? (and what does it stand for??)

We're going south this year and might (not yet decided) bring boat back thru canals. I've just sent off for ICC from RYA. Do I have to go through a school/club to get a CEVNI?

Any recommendations?

<hr width=100% size=1>

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk

You get the "RYA Book of Euroregs for Inland Waterways" , read it, and take the test. My local sailing school does the test for a tenner. Its a written test and you have to get 11 out of 17 questions. If you are familar with col regs and lights and shapes then its fairly straightforward. Send in the completion certificate with your ICC application and they endorse it for Inland Waterways

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site

So. I've got a day skipper theory thingy, but no practical. Although I have sailed every sort of boat and been to Britainy CI, Ireland, IOM and Scotland. So going in for the practicable after 30 years seems a bit pointless. Can your nice school not send me the little book and forms and whatever. I am happy to give them there tenner or even twenty. Thirty if they can tell me which 11 questions to answer. Just want a nice ICC thingy and endorsement please, thanks. Anyway if they think I'm fit enough to sail into thier harbours and marinas. How come I'm rubbish at going up their rivers??

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

SteveJ

Visit site
If you need the ICC £150 for an instructor to spend the day with you is not unreasonable! You may well learn something. instructors spend alot of money to get there qualifications so it does not seem unreasonable for them to charge a reasonable fee for their services!

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site

so you just book them to 'test you' to satisfy themselves that your evaluation of your skills is valid, if not understated as it probably is /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.......
oh and don't forget that not only do you have to pass the CEVNI exam but you must carry a copy on board at all times.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Other threads that may be of interest