Interior teak wood filler

AllanG

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a teak wood filler (especially for a good colour match) that can be used to fill small screw holes in an interior cabin area?

Many thanks, Allan

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
You wont get a good result with filler. You can buy small round teak plugs at chandlery's which you can trim to the right depth with a stanley knife, countersink the screws well into the wood, then glue in the plugs.

benjenbav

Visit site
When I last sanded my exterior teak I ended up with quite a lot of teak dust which I kept, partly because I thought it might be useful to mix with clear glue and use for this very purpose. I have never tried it, but would be happy to make a small quantity available to the OP for experimental purposes on the sole condition of a report back as to the success or otherwise of the project.

AllanG

Visit site
When I last sanded my exterior teak I ended up with quite a lot of teak dust which I kept, partly because I thought it might be useful to mix with clear glue and use for this very purpose. I have never tried it, but would be happy to make a small quantity available to the OP for experimental purposes on the sole condition of a report back as to the success or otherwise of the project.

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your kind offer, however, as there are only a few small holes which need filling, I think I'd rather try to source a suitable filler.

Cheers, Allan

maby

Visit site
I've always found that Brummer Stopping is the best filler around and is the one that professionals tend to choose. That said, it is very difficult to make anything approaching an invisible repair.

How large is the panel that contains the holes, and how large are the holes? We removed some old instruments from a panel in our old boat, leaving some unsightly holes. Teak is quite hard to buy these days and can be very expensive. I fixed it by cutting a matching panel out of the thinnest MDF board I could lay my hands on, and covering this with teak veneer and then gluing the replacement over the existing panel. After a light sanding and oiling with a decent teak oil, the replacement matched the rest of the teal on the boat pretty well - certainly looked better than the original panel complete with holes.

I got the veneer from Mitchell Veneers & Components in St. Albans - the panel I needed to repair was quite small and they were able to sell me an adequate offcut at a very reasonable price. I have a small amount left over - PM me with the size of the panel you need to repair and I'll see if I have enough.

If it's too large to completely cover, you may be able to do a marquetry fix if you have a steady hand and a good eye - I can certainly let you have a few square inches of veneer if you want to try that!

AllanG

Visit site
I got the veneer from Mitchell Veneers & Components in St. Albans - the panel I needed to repair was quite small and they were able to sell me an adequate offcut at a very reasonable price. I have a small amount left over - PM me with the size of the panel you need to repair and I'll see if I have enough.

If it's too large to completely cover, you may be able to do a marquetry fix if you have a steady hand and a good eye - I can certainly let you have a few square inches of veneer if you want to try that!

Thanks for this offer, Maby, but as the holes are only from screws for old instruments, then I think I may try Brummer Stopper filler.

Cheers, Allan

LittleShip

Visit site
It is very unlikely that you will be happy if you use any filler to fill the holes. I have filled hundreds over the years and IMHO the only way is to use a teak bung and then varnish.

You can buy bung cutters in various sizes to suit and any old teal will do to make a new bung.

Tom

Ripster

Visit site
It is very unlikely that you will be happy if you use any filler to fill the holes. I have filled hundreds over the years and IMHO the only way is to use a teak bung and then varnish.

You can buy bung cutters in various sizes to suit and any old teal will do to make a new bung.

Tom

+1 - anything bigger than a small nail/pin hole and you want a bung - make sure you line up the grain. Brummer stopping is good for splits or tiny holes, but stands out IMO if you use it on larger ones.

xtiffer

Visit site
If you can find a piece of teak get your sander and generate some dust,mix with Resin W or other PVA adhesive to form a paste.Works well.

Except that the colour usually turns out darker than the original wood. Hell of a job to colour match.
You could always make small diamond shaped Dutchmen
and leave it obvious but pretty.
Cheers,
Chris

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
Filler will do fine, followed by a decent felt marker darker than the wood applied in the direction of the grain, apply & rub in direction of grain,I used to use my thumb, repeat until looks right. Also works over wax filler but not permanent.

Last edited: