Interesting story about yachting

Irish Rover

Visit site
From today's Sunday Independent [Irish newspaper] which requires a paid subscription so can only screenshot. Posted because of the yachting angle so I hope it doesn't fall foul of any rules.

Resolution

Visit site
Several other articles available on Google. Take your choice!
I am sympathetic to the Royal Cork YC. When I was in charge of membership matters at a similar established yacht club I did often wonder whether we did enough to check on the backgrounds of our members, new and old. Inevitably amongst the boringly respectable members there were one or two charismatic rogues. One view was that as long as they could sail and had an interest in yachting, we should overlook other negative attributes. What does the forum think?

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Several other articles available on Google. Take your choice!
I am sympathetic to the Royal Cork YC. When I was in charge of membership matters at a similar established yacht club I did often wonder whether we did enough to check on the backgrounds of our members, new and old. Inevitably amongst the boringly respectable members there were one or two charismatic rogues. One view was that as long as they could sail and had an interest in yachting, we should overlook other negative attributes. What does the forum think?
Need a rogue's gallery to warn any innocents not to get too embroiled? I'm reminded of once standing on the quay in a small Greek port wondering how to signal to a yacht coming in rather late that they should not throw their lines to the town drunk just because he was lurking (staggering) there hoping for hand-outs...

Other threads that may be of interest