Insulated backstay aerial for HF

petery

Visit site
I've got an HF transceiver; am booking a long range course so all I need now is advice on rigging a suitable aerial/ground. I know a sat phone is an alternative, but Iridium's already gone bust once!).

Must I modify one of the backstays with insulators to use as an aerial? I have an automatic aerial tuner. Can I just wrap an insulated wire around the backstay or will I lose all the radiated power?

Any advice would be welcome

Tyche

Visit site
My yacht has an insulated backstay and got very good reception plus it is out of the way. Whip ariels are another source, and on a delivery I had to take my own HF set and hoisted a cable ariel when required not recomended for long term use though.

snowleopard

Visit site
or a whip...

an insulated backstay isn't cheap so the alternative, a whip aerial, can be a competitive option. mine is 7.5 m long and mounts on brackets on one side of my goalpost.

a good earth is even more important than the aerial.

petery

Visit site
\'best\' kind of earth ?

.. I intend to bond all the through hull fittings with 3 inch wide copper foil and join them to my large fresh water tank that sits mid-ships under the cabin floor - rather than a sintered plate on the outside of the hull. Any views?