Info re Colvic M/Sail

tarik

Visit site
Friends,

I have at last taken the plunge and had permision from SWMBO - we are going to get a Colvic M/Sailer - Ketch rig( 26 ft). I have had to admit that at my time of life I need comfort rather than trying to sail at the horizontal.

I will be looking in earnest from Dec onwards. however I am having trouble locating info re the Colvic, apart from Colin Jones's wonderful articles in the PBO there seems to be a dearth of information.

Can anyone give me any info as to sailability, general good points/ bad points, any knowledge of blue water voyages?

Thanking you in anticipation

David.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi David,

Friends of mine at present cruising the Med. have one and have generally been very pleased with her. The major problem now seems to be osmosis, which has been exacerbated to a great degree by the warmth of the Med water and has produced some big blisters in a comparatively short time; about three to four years on a previously clear hull. I don't believe this is unique to Colvic by any means, but they were surprised at the speed it appeared.

Having said that, my boat, previously epoxy painted (6 coats) as a protection before we left for the med in '96, also developed about twenty, albeit tiny, blisters over a six year period. Guess it's a potential penalty for full time cruising in warm waters!

Overall they wouldn't change her, though they do sometimes complain that the wheelhouse ends up like a glasshouse in the heat!! Ah, these problems!!!

Cheers

jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

CYGNUS

Visit site
CW 26 does not heel much, sails well in F4 and above.has large volume for storage. You need bilge keels or sails up to prevent rolling in beam seas.Owned mine for 17 years, would not change, can't think of any bad points.Have copies of
original 26/28 CWs brochures if required. Good luck with your search.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tarik

Visit site
Jerry,

Many thanks for your message. Sorry not to have replied earlier - on holiday !!

I have virtually convinced myself that I will get a CW, but am undecided as to whether it will be a 29 or 32. Thanks for your views re osmosis, I'll bear it in mind when I do the rounds, I don't suppose that I'll be lucky enough to find the one I want straight away.

Once again many thanks

David.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tarik

Visit site
Many thanks for taking the time to respond - sorry that I've not replied earlier - annual leave !

I would be very grateful if I could have copies of some of the earlier brochures, if you give me a ring 07 989 992 175 I'll give you my address. I will of course pay for any photocopying.

Kind regards

David

<hr width=100% size=1>