Inflatable tender

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
YM did one about two/three issues ago.
Avon came out best but the price is ridiculous. I don't understand how they can remain in business.
Suzumar was YM's recommendation as bet buy so I tried to get one. It seems there are none anywhere in Europe until at least the end of this year.
Quicksilver didn't receive a recommendation but was rated well, slightly more expensive than the Suzumar. I bought one two weeks ago and it seems to be excellent.
Bombard was "best lowest cost" and I looked at one. I could see where the savings were made so decided not to get one.
Plastimo seem to be OK but YM tested the slatted floor version, whereas the rest were inflatable keels, so naturally it didn't do so well. Their inflatable keel version looks OK to me but not quite as good as the Quicksilver, although a little cheaper.
Zodiac also look good but there were a couple of negatives for me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Quicksilver

I have a Quicksilver Airdeck 270. Specs are almost identical to the similar sized Suzumar. I did a lot of research (prior to the Magazine article !!!) and for me Quicksilver were best - largest load carrying capacity for size, can take large outboard (mine can take 10hp, but I have an 8). Large tube diameter, well made and available!

Cheers,

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
Avon stay in business because people know that if you buy an Avon it will last a lifetime and won't let you down. Spares are always available and they can always be repaired and upgraded.

I would rather buy a 20 year old secondhand Avon than a brand new "budget" inflatable, although I won't need to because mine is only 30 years old and has plenty of life left in it yet!

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Hypalon boats do tend to lastlonger than PVC ones. I still have a Compass Kudos, a budget boat made in Hypalon. It is about 10 years old and like new but it is a little small, especially the tube diameter, by modern standards.

I once had an Avon Redcrest. It was rubbish. Back flipped so easily that we always kept 2 gallons of water in the bow. As soon as the revs on the outboard were increased it began to disappear under the stern. Avon? No thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SlowlyButSurely

Visit site
Well it's horses for courses isn't it? Our Avon has a small tube diameter and the advantage is that it can be stowed in a locker and can be inflated and ready to use in less than 5 minutes. If you want to use a powerful outboard then you would be better off with larger tubes and a rigid floor, but it will take longer to inflate and set up and probably won't be so easy to stow.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Quite - our redcrest must be well over 25 years old, and still going strong. I dont see many cheaper dinghies of that age.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Big problem with inflatable floor dinghies is the weight. A reasonable slatted floor version may only weight 18kgs, but the inflatable floor versions can be over 40kgs - The Plastimo 230IS is worth a look as it has a partially inflatable transom, so rolls up smaller and also weighs less (about 19kgs), but can only take a 3.5 hp engine. If you have to lift the boat up on your own, then weight is an important factor which was ignored in the tests.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I agree. The weight and folded dimensions were of great importance when making our choice. I don't have all the figures here but most of the inflatable keel versions that I looked at were lighter or at most only slightly heavier than their slatted floor equivalents, for a big improvement in performance. The Plastimo Pi 230 with inflatable floor weighs 18 kg. The Quicksilver with inflatable floor claims to be 20% lighter than the solid one.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Other threads that may be of interest