Inflatable boat.

munster1967

Visit site
Hi folks.
Is it worth paying extra for an air deck over a slatted floor ? In a dingy between 2.5 and 2.8 meters. I use it for trips of about 10 km return.

lustyd

Visit site
Or even better, aluminium floor. Similar weight but much less worrisome to throw heavy or sharp things like anchors onto

lustyd

Visit site
Really. I thought the aluminium ones were way heavier. !
They're heaver than slatted floor, but the airdeck itself is very heavy in comparison (mine is a Cadet 270 Alu). The main advantage of air deck is that it's easier to transport than sheets of aluminium, and much easier to inflate/assemble/store. I would definitely go aluminium again, but definitely not a Cadet.

Minerva

Visit site
They're heaver than slatted floor, but the airdeck itself is very heavy in comparison (mine is a Cadet 270 Alu). The main advantage of air deck is that it's easier to transport than sheets of aluminium, and much easier to inflate/assemble/store. I would definitely go aluminium again, but definitely not a Cadet.
curious, any particular reason not to buy the cadet?

But to answer the OP - yes always go for a floor. One extra reason is that if it's been raining overnight then the rain has the void under the floor to flood so your feet stay dry 'till you empty the tender via the wee drain

lustyd

Visit site
curious, any particular reason not to buy the cadet?
So. Many. Reasons.

They're so badly designed I can only assume they've never actually been boating. The inflate valves don't lock in, and regularly pop out while inflating. The inflate valve covers are held on with a spring that's mounted the wrong way and sticks out as you tighten them, stopping them getting tight. It's white while everything in the sea is not white, so even seawater stains it. The drain valve lets water in, so unless you seal it up the boat slowly sinks. The wooden outboard mount is made of wood so doesn't do well near water. The ends of the aluminium locking sticks are plastic and fall out immediately which needed epoxying in. The keel inflate valve is a different type than the tubes so you have to change connector midway through. The rowlocks to put it politely just don't work for rowing, and neither do they work for keeping the oars attached. The oars use various metals, which in a salt water environment makes them corrode in interesting places. Rowlocks are designed to stick out when the boat is upside down, which wears the oar release button away on the deck. Somehow, for a £1000 dinghy no painter was included.

That's just off the top of my head. Don't buy a Cadet.