Inboard or outboard in the survival situation ?

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
Hello :)

Whats going to work best ?

May i ask how did your motor perform in bad conditions and what model is it or was it ?

Did it let you down ? put you at further risk ?

alant

Visit site
Hello :)

Whats going to work best ?

May i ask how did your motor perform in bad conditions and what model is it or was it ?

Did it let you down ? put you at further risk ?

If its "survival situation" & needed an engine, I'd not be concerned about inboard/outboard, as long as it actually worked.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Inboard. Been caught out in the nasties off Belgium with an outboard powered cat. Even though the o/b was 20 foot from the bow of a 27 foot boat we still had major cavitation issues, it would frequently be out of the water as we hobby horsed. Inboards will generally do this less because the prop is usually lower.

srp

Visit site
An old-fashioned inboard diesel will be much better than a modern petrol-engine outboard with electronic ignition. I'm thinking particularly of a situation such as an attack by aliens using electro-magnetic pulse weapons, which would obviously destroy sensitive ECUs and suchlike.

Talbot

Visit site
No contest in survival conditions.

Inboad is deeper so there is less cavitation.

The propellor is normally (except on race boats!) designed to swing a much larger bladed propellor, more slowly. This provides more thrust and less cavitation losses than a small prop spinning very fast.

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Ben, Ben, Ben ....

Yet another post about survival situations.

Question - have you done any actual sailing in your boat yet ?

As and when you do, you may develop a more reasoned perspective.

Suggest you try a bit of day-sailing in reasonable conditions before you develop ambitions of putting your life in peril by crossing oceans, or whatever it is that you have in mind for the future.

I've just had a look at Ben D's personal profile - joined on the 1st April ! Well done, you had me fooled ...

Ok, Ok - I admit I was suckered - I tend to treat people as being genuine. Too trusting I guess. I'd never make a conman.

Well done Ben, whoever you are.

Last edited:

ianj99

Visit site
Ben, Ben, Ben ....

Yet another post about survival situations.

Question - have you done any actual sailing in your boat yet ?

As and when you do, you may develop a more reasoned perspective.

Suggest you try a bit of day-sailing in reasonable conditions before you develop ambitions of putting your life in peril by crossing oceans, or whatever it is that you have in mind for the future.

I've just had a look at Ben D's personal profile - joined on the 1st April ! Well done, you had me fooled ...

Ok, Ok - I admit I was suckered - I tend to treat people as being genuine. Too trusting I guess. I'd never make a conman.

Well done Ben, whoever you are.

Yep, seen him surfing around cloud cuckoo land smoking a joint...

IJL

Visit site
Get a goat to steer, much better than an engine, if you're going to Belgium make sure the goat feed isn't red or they send you to the chocolate mines

ianj99

Visit site
Get a goat to steer, much better than an engine, if you're going to Belgium make sure the goat feed isn't red or they send you to the chocolate mines

The Brussel Sprout factory more like. Its wind powered I heard.
:)

Wunja

Visit site
My inboard let me down. After 21 hours of motoring through a flat calm, it ran out of fuel. Therefore I'm seriously considering replacing it with an outboard.

Reptile Smile

Visit site
Ben, most people who own boats that I know do relatively little sailing (much more painting and polishing and posting on forums goes on that actual sailing) and those that do do very little medium-to-heavy weather sailing, never mind survival sailing...

Outboards don't have much to commend them - they're cheap and portable. That's about it. And for some applications, that makes them perfect. But a boat of a certain size comes with an inboard, and that's all she wrote, really. Boats that are smaller than this with outboards are not really the kind of things that you find yourself in survival situations in... Or else where would it all end? Doing the Fastnet race on a lilo?

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
Ben, most people who own boats that I know do relatively little sailing (much more painting and polishing and posting on forums goes on that actual sailing) and those that do do very little medium-to-heavy weather sailing, never mind survival sailing...

Outboards don't have much to commend them - they're cheap and portable. That's about it. And for some applications, that makes them perfect. But a boat of a certain size comes with an inboard, and that's all she wrote, really. Boats that are smaller than this with outboards are not really the kind of things that you find yourself in survival situations in... Or else where would it all end? Doing the Fastnet race on a lilo?

"Ben, most people who own boats that I know do relatively little sailing (much more painting and polishing and posting on forums goes on that actual sailing")

I was getting that impression yes.

"and that's all she wrote, really."
I dont understand this /your context, its not mine.