In praise of the IPad Pro.

My IPad Air was my first nav. unit of choice.

Then Christmas 2015 comes around and my loving, non-sailing wife gives me an early present: an IPad Pro that can be held in one hand (yeah, yeah) and produce displays of magazine proportions.

More importantly, it produces a chart display of a size that in the world of marine navigation units would cost at least a further £1k. I don't know if it is possible to make annotations on the chart display with the new pencil but this would be a real clincher.

Music stored starts at Robert Johnson, through Grateful Dead to Van Morrison visiting Paul Butterfield on the way. Jazz tends to be saxophone orientated.

I have tested various software packages but find that ISailor suits me best.

Last edited:

Ceirwan

Visit site
My IPad Air was my first nav. unit of choice.

Then Christmas 2015 comes around and my loving, non-sailing wife gives me an early present: an IPad Pro that can be held in one hand (yeah, yeah) and produce displays of magazine proportions.

More importantly, it produces a chart display of a size that in the world of marine navigation units would cost at least a further £1k. I don't know if it is possible to make annotations on the chart display with the new pencil but this would be a real clincher.

Music stored starts at Robert Johnson, through Grateful Dead to Van Morrison visiting Paul Butterfield on the way. Jazz tends to be saxophone orientated.

I have tested various software packages but find that ISailor suits me best.

Maybe I'm missing a trick with iSailor, but I find it annoying that you have to zoom to a certain level before certain details and depth soundings show up, and its not adjustable. I don't like having to zoom in as far as that, especially when passage planning.

Used with my (normal) iPad.
That said I imagine the big screen of the Pro must make a big difference.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
We're niche users many never use GPS functions so they don't use many sales. iPads score very well on everything but price IMH. I'm happy with my hudl although it's not as slick as SWMBOs iPad.
Why MS decided not to include a £2 GPS chip with the Surface I'll never know. I wonder how many sales they missed because of that fact alone? One, at least!

Richard

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We're niche users many never use GPS functions so they don't use many sales. iPads score very well on everything but price IMH. I'm happy with my hudl although it's not as slick as SWMBOs iPad.

I'm not so sure. Android tablets nearly all include a proper GPS as do all 3G iPads. Look at the amount of web chatter (not on sailing forums) over the last few years saying "I would buy a Surface if it had GPS .........."

Richard

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Why MS decided not to include a £2 GPS chip with the Surface I'll never know. I wonder how many sales they missed because of that fact alone? One, at least!

Richard

That's a shame - I had the Surface in mind for my next machine as the trusty Notebook is getting long in the tooth now... having said that, the Netbook doesn't have GPS either so I'd just use a puck like I do now......