In line pump self-priming 'head'

Airscrew

Visit site
Hi All,

I want to configure a pump that will 'sample' for contamination at the bottom of the fuel tank.
I know the access to the top of the tank is very limited.
So I want to periodically sample through the fuel filler on deck.

That will mean a head of 1.5m to 2m from the filler to the top of the fuel level.

I intend to use an inline pump, ie a Rule iL series.
These are intended to be submersible and self priming.

Q.
Will these self prime the 1.5 to 2m of air in the 'head'?
and
Does anyone have any experience of sampling a tank through the deck-level filler, and with what arrangement?

The yacht is in Greece, so I need to have everything planned before I head out there.

Thanks.

Wakatere

Visit site
That pump is only rated for water.

I recently had to drain my fuel tank to clean out some gunk and used one of these. The flexible inlet pipe is a bit is a menace, it really needs a proper dip tube. You don't say that you're talking about diesel - either of these would be disastrous with petrol.

Charles

Plum

Visit site
That pump is only rated for water.

I recently had to drain my fuel tank to clean out some gunk and used one of these. The flexible inlet pipe is a bit is a menace, it really needs a proper dip tube. You don't say that you're talking about diesel - either of these would be disastrous with petrol.

Charles
This one will pump diesel.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Plum

Visit site
Hi All,

I want to configure a pump that will 'sample' for contamination at the bottom of the fuel tank.
I know the access to the top of the tank is very limited.
So I want to periodically sample through the fuel filler on deck.

That will mean a head of 1.5m to 2m from the filler to the top of the fuel level.

I intend to use an inline pump, ie a Rule iL series.
These are intended to be submersible and self priming.

Q.
Will these self prime the 1.5 to 2m of air in the 'head'?
and
Does anyone have any experience of sampling a tank through the deck-level filler, and with what arrangement?

The yacht is in Greece, so I need to have everything planned before I head out there.

Thanks.
I use one of these for a quick check of the bottom of the tank. Sealey AK47 Oil Suction Hand Syringe Gun Pump 500ml Gearbox Fill / Extractor 5051747579712 | eBay
I have a lenth of 6mm metal tube to poke down to the bottom of the tank then a length of clear hose. As i suck i can see the fuel rise up the clear hose. If the diesel is clean i just let it go back in the tank, job done.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk