In line charcoal water filter fail

Siftasam

Visit site
Good morning.
Have any other members had an issue with their in line fresh water filter depositing its charcoal from the inlet end into the fw pipework?
We have the filter fitted just under the sink and have used the same well known brand of filters (changed annually !!) for years. This season we have had 3 filters behaving in this way which means having to strip the other cold water taps each time as the charcoal granules travel through the syslem and block the lines.
Chatting to another yachtsman revealed that he had the same problem with three purchases (all from different chandlers).
The manufacturer when contacted about this were uninterested and told us to exchange via the retailer…
Any advice about a RELIABLE in line filter gratefully received.IMG_0096.jpeg

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Buy a 10" clear filter housing and carbon block filter to fit. A fraction of the price of inline filters and twice the size as least. Lots more performance the bigger it is.

This. Better yet, fit it with a carbon block filter, which will also stops cysts, such as gardia. Unless the water is constantly chlorinated, like home, granular carbon is mostly a growth media for bacteria. The Pentex floplus 10 is a good one.

geem

Visit site
Isn't that what I said?
This. Better yet, fit it with a carbon block filter, which will also stops cysts, such as gardia. Unless the water is constantly chlorinated, like home, granular carbon is mostly a growth media for bacteria. The Pentex floplus 10 is a good one.
Isn't that what I said?

oldgit

Visit site
Buy a 10" clear filter housing and carbon block filter to fit.
link would be handy..........
My filter cartridge is years beyond its bin date, no problem ,lets get a replacement ... saw the price , well used to marine inflation but....
£40.00 + for a plastic tube filled with few grammes of presumably charcoal ?

Last edited:

geem

Visit site

lustyd

Visit site
I'd never come across carbon block before, seems to be getting sold as a semi-RO solution. Very notable that they use the word "can" and "may" with these when talking about things like cyst removal rather than "does" and "will". Upon further reading proper RO units are available for under sink that will use a membrane to definitely remove contaminants, but these waste most of the water just like a watermaker does.

The carbon block definitely looks like a step up in protection from a standard carbon filter, although the tradeoff seems to be that slightly dirty tank water might clog it more easily and it could be a bit slower at the tap

geem

Visit site
The carbon block definitely looks like a step up in protection from a standard carbon filter, although the tradeoff seems to be that slightly dirty tank water might clog it more easily and it could be a bit slower at the tap
You are correct. We install a 1 micron filter in front of the carbon block filter to protect the carbon filter. Not only doesn't the 1 micron filter protect the carbon filter, but if you install it in a clear housing, it provides a barometer of water tank condition.

thinwater

Isn't that what I said?
Isn't that what I said?
Yup, I can't read.

---

Lustyd: Pre-filtering the water as you fill the tank (particle filter), light chlorination if it is not city water, and cleaning the tank annually (part of winterizing for many) should limit the fouling. If the carbon block filter is fouling more than 1-2 times per year, even for a live-aboard, the tank cleanliness needs work. Light chlorination really helps by preventing bio-film from growing on the carbon. The carbon will easily remove the chlorine.

lustyd

Visit site
It's funny, I'd never thought about using a particle filter on the way in. I've seen various folk using a charcoal filter which didn't seem wise, but particle filter seems a great idea

doug748

Visit site
link would be handy..........
My filter cartridge is years beyond its bin date, no problem ,lets get a replacement ... saw the price , well used to marine inflation but....
£40.00 + for a plastic tube filled with few grammes of presumably charcoal ?

I filled mine up with this stuff this season:

Granulated Activated Carbon GAC Charcoal Water Filter Media Aquarium KOI Refill | eBay

Lets out a bit of charcoal at first but no worse than the proper thing and one bag will probably last 5 years +

thinwater

It's funny, I'd never thought about using a particle filter on the way in. I've seen various folk using a charcoal filter which didn't seem wise, but particle filter seems a great idea
A friend of mine wnated to use hard-top rainwater for washing etc. but it wasn't really cleaning enough. He asked me what I thought (knowing I was a chemical engineer) and I came up with this DIY for him. It really works very, very well for many tasks. 1 micron rated is best.
  • Prefilter from hose or even jerry cans.
  • Prefilter for water coming off the roof.
  • Can be washed and then sanitized by laying it in the sun. This can be done about 10 times.
  • High capacity.
  • Cheap.
It will really keep your tank clean.

A DIY Water Filter - Practical Sailor