In line charcoal water filter fail

lustyd

Visit site
We use it to filter tap water for drinking, it's central Paris so water goes through a zillion controls before being distributed
We heard all about the Paris water quality this summer From the triathletes. I’m not sure their controls are as strict as they say.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Also, safety and taste are not the same thing. Specific to tea, the hardness reacts with the tea and changes the taste in ways that some like and some do not. However, harder water is nearly always healthier (WHO and EPA studies of large populations drinking purified RO and distilled water).

Neeves

Visit site
The largest Chinese manufacturer of activated carbon was based on coal (it was run by the PLA). The plant was updated, a new one built, based on Sutcliffe Speakman technology. I believe Calgon built a plant in China. Major sources of coconut shell was Sri Lanka and Phillipines. I don't associate the US having a big coconut industry, milk, oil, copra and assume their shell came from the Phillipines.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Its purely emotive but the idea of 'processed' coal to clean water seems contradictory, who built a coal fire and kept their hands clean or had a coal merchant deliver coal and invited them in for a cup of tea - coconuts are much more palatable.

Coal needs a good PR manager :)

Jonathan

lustyd

Visit site
Coal needs to stay in the ground, they aren't making any more so any carbon released is permanently released.

lustyd

Visit site
If we want cement, or lime for our agriculture, we need to release the carbonates. The usual, or historic, production was to heat the limestone, or dolomite (magnesium, calcium carbonates).

Jonathan
Calcium carbonate is renewable so not an issue. The conditions for coal to form no longer exist, so any carbon released cannot be converted back to coal.