Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
Really not true. While we may be net importers from EU (not generally considered an economic positive) the % of exports that goes to EU in 2014 was 44.6 %. On the other hand EU exports to UK are only 21%. So who is going to be in the driving seat when doing a deal - the EU clearly. Brexit supporters have the same attitudes and arrogance that typified the failing British empire -

Change from percentage to total euros to.total. pounds then you will see the real position. Percentage gdp UK. To percentage gdp EU is pointless it is apples and oranges

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Lets get the hell OUT its our only chance!....:)

You must have good personal reasons to justify your strong views; have you worked in Europe or lived there; had any business deals there? have you spent time sailing around the Med? did you get the opportunity to mix with the locals or with other Brits and Europeans in marinas or during cruising; do you have any Euro friends who work and make a living in Europe?.

cynthia

Visit site
It's an in for me. Lots of skilled workers from the EU bring skills to every area of the U.K., eg NHS, and plenty of Brits work in the EU too. Good skills exchange as far as I'm concerned. Also enjoy cruising and holidaying in the EU with reciprical health benefits (important to a person like me who the health/ travel insurers won't touch!) and easy euro cross borders availability. Of course there are negatives - all those expensive beaurocrats etc, but on balance I'm for in.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site

I'm a brexit supporter - I'm fascinated that you think I have the attiude and arrogance that typified the failing British Empire. I view it as a ridiculously broad and unquantifiable statement that really only says anything about what you personaly want to believe. For any right-minded person to suggest that you can assign any generic characteristic across millions of people based on a a single opinion they hold on a very complex subject is bizarre in the extreme but I'd be interested to see how you would justify and substantiate it?

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I'm a brexit supporter - I'm fascinated that you think I have the attiude and arrogance that typified the failing British Empire. I view it as a ridiculously broad and unquantifiable statement that really only says anything about what you personaly want to believe. For any right-minded person to suggest that you can assign any generic characteristic across millions of people based on a a single opinion they hold on a very complex subject is bizarre in the extreme but I'd be interested to see how you would justify and substantiate it?

I dont fully understand what you are trying to say; however, leaving the EU is not the end of the world; it is the beginning of a new one, which is unknown and unpredictable with risks and opportunities and definitely a less prosperous. For the young people in this country, it will be disastrous in the long term, and it will initiate a mass exodus to Europe over the next 20 years.

For those in the UK who have retired with a pension, who never had an interest in exploring Europe and the delights of the south, including the magnificent sailing places, will notice no difference IN or OUT, however, the future belongs to the young. Still, it will be interesting to to see how the thousands/millions? of Brits who live, rely and thrive in the EU will be affected. The yachting community will be affected too, to what extend, I am not sure, however, there will be some form of restrictions, tariffs. Discovering new markets it will be easy, however, selling to those markets it will be difficult, due to protections/tariffs and the profit margins will be reduced dramatically. In the 70's, sailing in the Med was for the elite, of course the market will stay open for holidays to all those who still enjoying sailing in the Med, either on a two week trip or spending a few years there, but with a difference. Overall, there will be people who will be worse off, and people who will notice no difference, unfortunately, no one of significance will be better off.

MJWF

Visit site
Perhaps the poet with the strongest association to British empire wrote the following. Seems to capture the mood still...

THE WRATH OF THE AWAKENED SAXON
by Rudyard Kipling

It was not part of their blood,
It came to them very late,
With long arrears to make good,
When the Saxon began to hate.

They were not easily moved,
They were icy -- willing to wait
Till every count should be proved,
Ere the Saxon began to hate.

Their voices were even and low.
Their eyes were level and straight.
There was neither sign nor show

It was not preached to the crowd.
It was not taught by the state.
No man spoke it aloud

It was not suddently bred.
It will not swiftly abate.
Through the chilled years ahead,
When Time shall count from the date
That the Saxon began to hate.

Bobc

Visit site
You must have good personal reasons to justify your strong views; have you worked in Europe or lived there; had any business deals there? have you spent time sailing around the Med? did you get the opportunity to mix with the locals or with other Brits and Europeans in marinas or during cruising; do you have any Euro friends who work and make a living in Europe?.

What the hell's that got to do with it. We're voting to leave the EU (the political construct), not Europe (the Continent). Please don't confuse the two, as they are very different.

Bobc

Visit site
It's an in for me. Lots of skilled workers from the EU bring skills to every area of the U.K., eg NHS, and plenty of Brits work in the EU too. Good skills exchange as far as I'm concerned. Also enjoy cruising and holidaying in the EU with reciprical health benefits (important to a person like me who the health/ travel insurers won't touch!) and easy euro cross borders availability. Of course there are negatives - all those expensive beaurocrats etc, but on balance I'm for in.

I doubt that an OUT vote will change any of those things (other than maybe the health cover).

Bobc

Visit site
I dont fully understand what you are trying to say; however, leaving the EU is not the end of the world; it is the beginning of a new one, which is unknown and unpredictable with risks and opportunities and definitely a less prosperous. For the young people in this country, it will be disastrous in the long term, and it will initiate a mass exodus to Europe over the next 20 years.

I agree that that it'll offer a new begining, but I don't agree with your view that it will be "definitely less prosperous". Can you prove this?

I think the fact that we have to take a re-look at a lot of our laws, our trading focus, and the way we live our lives, will give the country the opportunity to make changes for the better, and I personally believe that it will give our country a psycological boost as we all start believing in UK plc again. I'm voting out SPECIFICALLY because I have 2 children in their early 20s, and I think that leaving will give them a more prosperous future.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I agree that that it'll offer a new begining, but I don't agree with your view that it will be "definitely less prosperous". Can you prove this?

I think the fact that we have to take a re-look at a lot of our laws, our trading focus, and the way we live our lives, will give the country the opportunity to make changes for the better, and I personally believe that it will give our country a psycological boost as we all start believing in UK plc again. I'm voting out SPECIFICALLY because I have 2 children in their early 20s, and I think that leaving will give them a more prosperous future.

Can you prove this?No you cant prove it any more than Cap fan can prove we would be less prosperous and there we have the debate summed up.There are reams of tripe talked about periferal issues but it boils down to whether you believe we will be more prosperous in or out.No one knows so I ask again----Do you feel lucky?

Bobc

Visit site
Can you prove this?No you cant prove it any more than Cap fan can prove we would be less prosperous and there we have the debate summed up.There are reams of tripe talked about periferal issues but it boils down to whether you believe we will be more prosperous in or out.No one knows so I ask again----Do you feel lucky?

At what point did I state that anything will "definitely" be the case? All I said was that in my view.... That very different to Cap Fantastic stating that "we will definitely be less prosperous" as a fact.

Birdseye

Visit site
Interesting result. If the lead of the OUTers is reducing even here then its more certain that in the real world outside YBW there is a majority in favour of staying IN.

I've no real doubt about the balance of opinion in the electorate. The real question is the interest level. Will the INers be interested / involved enough to turn out to vote because the more rabid OUTers certainly will.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
At what point did I state that anything will "definitely" be the case? All I said was that in my view.... That very different to Cap Fantastic stating that "we will definitely be less prosperous" as a fact.
It matters not a jot whether you said "definitely".What matters is whether we will be more prosperous in or out and what is clearly true is that no one really knows.No one can prove anything about the future so we will be voting according to what we think might be the case.Hopefully.Or millions might vote according to their beliefs about spurious periferal issues which seem to dominate much of the public debate.So do you feel lucky?

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
We need the views from those who live in an EU country, preferably, a Med country and who make their living in the yachting industry or who work there and enjoy the sea and the sun or from those to have retired in the Med, fully or partly. The majority of those who live in the UK semi or partly retired with limited exposure to the outside world, still believing that a 1960's long keel yacht is the best, are very likely to vote for OUT.

dom

Visit site
As others have implied, predictions for a post-Brexit economy are similar to long-range weather forecasts: we can probably determine the factors/systems which will be the actors in a post-EU existence, but can have little idea who the stars might be.

What we can say is that Great Britain will face a wider dispersion of possible outcomes under a vote to leave. There will for example be no EU-counterbalance to a truly inspired UK Government (a Super-Singapore economy would beckon, why not?), a UKIP Government (good humour and beer sales would rise!) or for that matter an administration led by Jeremy Corbn (economic disaster would be assured, but perhaps people would be happier?)

It is therefore for UK citizens to decide which way to go ...and rightly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.