In hot water with the Wife.

G

Does anyone have any constructve views on calorifiers?

We have a 25 foot boat with a single shower and only two people onboard (soon to be one if I don't get hot water). The Ascot was a no go item if I wanted a BSS so it had to go. I need info on the fitting, performance and size of various models. I reckon a 22 litre should suffice but how long do they take to heat up, how quickly do they cool down and what is a good make, who to avoid?

G

the bigger the calorifier the smaller the engine the more time it takes to warm up. they keep hot over night and with a 1000w heater element in no problems. fit as large a one as possible (keeps wife happy), go on to next pub till engine warms up, backtracking to first pub (if favourte) saying moorings are full etc. Or try the diesel fired dual/water/heater esberspacher.

G

I have seen a calorifier advertised I think from Simpson Lawrence that has some sort of heat retaining crystals that give you a second tank of hot water without running the engine. I don't have any personal experience of this product but on the face of it, it seems like a good idea.

G

We have just changed boats and have now got a calorifire. On the first weekend on the boat no hot water[another divorce by the looks of things] but found thermostat to be useless. Got replacement from Keypart and fitted it. Went for ride up river following weekend against a slight flow due to flood water and within 20 minutes scolding hot water and happy wife. Easter weekend trip down river with flow so engine not much above tick over very tepid water and not very happy wife. Is this usual as we are used to instant hot water on old boat from multi point water heater!!!. I am not too amused with boiling kettle to wash up every time. Also found when water did warm up that once it was only luke warm by the evening so it seems to be cruise and then shower straight away or no hot water.